playing with a EBA-display

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

playing with a EBA-display

Post  Guest on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:21 pm

In beginning of may, is the big ESA/EBA exhibition in Polen

I am planning to exhibit both suiseki and bonsai

I have put this display together....you will have to imagine the acer have fresh new leafes, and the butterflies soon will be everywere...at least in Denmark.
Also does the Lionicera kaskade normaly have flowerbuds, or small flowers at this time..only a handfull...The kaskade also need to be turned a little in the pot

I like to know what you think of it...does it Work, or what would you do difrent
Sorry...the Photo is a bit blurred.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Re: playing with a EBA-display

Post  tmmason10 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi Yvonne, I'm not sure what the middle tree is (juniper?) but I think it should be removed from your display. Looks a bit cluttered to me. I am no expert, so I was hoping to hear your thoughts on this.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Can you explain a Little closer? why cluttered...would you prefer a 3 element display?  Smile

Please note this is a flat Photo...the trees are not standing in a line, but in a triangle.

Kind regards yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:15 pm

I think I might prefer as a three point display, but that doesn't mean I'm right! I really love that maple, is it a trident?

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:21 pm

I would prefer to go with less as MORE. The triangulation works best with 3 elements.The middle tree is best removed. Please consider removing your maple from the stand it's on and using the flat jitta under it. It is my belief that the height of the maple needs to be no higher than the cascade stand . In a perfect world a horizontal formatted scroll would work better,than the tall verticle one because of the relatively low height of the bonsai.

Please do not take this commentary ( as i read it back) to sound so negative. The scroll is delightful and quite acceptable, and your
maple and cascade are wonderfull!

dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi Dick

I normaly never think anyones opinion is negative, I like to hear them, and is often surprised when people become upset, but ofcourse can a reply be mean, but that is a difrent story  Smile 

I will take a Photo of your suggestion tomorrow... but please have in mind the table is Deep, and the trees is placed in a triangle...maybe I should also take a Photo from a little abowe, the way people will see the display in the exhibition....would it be better if the display was wider?
Also is the kaskade not a real...but more a semikaskade, does  this change anything?

The reason why I want a 4 display, and not a 3. as I usual do, is because the absolutely classik japanese way to do a shohindisplay is "3 shohin, and one scroll"...and by that I mean a scroll..not a figure, and not a kusamono, but a scroll.

Having said that, do I know people freak, when they hear a even number...I have this 4 element knowledge from a japanese friend of mine, who exhibit for customers at the Taika Ten and Kofuku Ten

I will still be pleased to have comments and thought, as I find it interesting.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakejiku on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:48 pm

Yvonne様へ

First I want to compliment you on the refinement of your bonsai...I especially love your semi-cascade.

So my difficulties for interpreting your display are the following:
1. You need to make one tree the focal point of your display. In this display, all of the trees compete for the attention of my eye. I also do not know your geography, but these tree may or may not exist simultaneously.
2. I also see conflicting flow (流れ) among the various elements. For example, your semi-cascade indicates flow to the left, but the middle tree has a stopping flow to the right, which would be fine, but the stopping of the flow should be by the deciduous tree on the left.
3. The current set up with the bare deciduous (maple?) to me signals a winter display, but the scroll depicts insects (at least to my eye) which is a spring/summer theme to me.
4. The previous poster spoke about it being too congested...I agree.

My suggestions for improvement are the following...
1. Select which tree you will use as the main piece of the display. Does that mean you can not use another tree as an accent, absolutely not...it is just that the other tree should be smaller (mame?), and I would suggest it be styled as a bunjin. Bunjin tends to be a styling that will meld into the background, and would not compete for attention.
2. The flow of your display with the Semi-cascade would be complemented by the bunjin styled accent that flows back towards your semi-cascade.
3. Define your season and make it easier for the viewer to interpret...if you are going for winter, then I would switch out the tansaku, I recommend a hawk, very small, and high up in the sky. The hawk in Japan is a common winter theme used in Gaddou style display.
4. By moving the scroll higher, and the depiction of the hawk higher in the sky it would give the viewer a sense of openness and bring more focus to the main tree...

Just a few opinions...

Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi Kakejiku

Many thanks for your reply...I will need some time to think it ower, will be back later....but please note, as i said in the beginning, this is a display I want to use in beginning of may, and the acer will have new leafes by then.

Maybe you want to comment something else in some of of your points.

Later...Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakejiku on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:27 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Kakejiku

Many thanks for your reply...I will need some time to think it ower, will be back later....but please note, as i said in the beginning, this is a display I want to use in beginning of may, and the acer will have new leafes by then.

Oops sorry missed that...spring then...Got it...Mame plum or cherry in bunjin styling with just hint of one or two blossoms would be a great accent for very early spring. I would still move the scroll higher. The blue works, but seems a little dark to me...

Could also change the color of the cloth for the scroll to be more springlike. I have a beautiful cloth brass/light brown silk that has an ever so slight butterfly pattern in it, but no one recognizes it unless they look very close...

Also prefer the painting to be done in monochrome...but just my preference.

But it is a great display in your way of four point styling as well...If you want to keep it in the current format, my only suggestions would be to switch your acer with the middle conifer and stretch the width by about 1 foot on each side. (This may be a no-no in this format to switch up the deciduous and conifer again I do not know)
The rules may be different regarding flow of the display in your four point setup (which I do not know), but the Acer with the taper eventually going to the left seems to me to complement the cascade and then if your third conifer was a little further to the left with the flow to the right it would seem a natural stopping point for the original flow of the tallest, furthest right tree...

Now off to get some scroll work done...

Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakejiku on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:39 pm

Oops one other thing, one trick I read in my Japanese display book is to turn the legs of the tall table about 30 degrees (not in a square to the other rectangle table) so that it makes the cascade pot and tree look bigger and provides a little more depth perception...

Now I really got to work on my scroll orders...

Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:30 am

Hi Kakejiku
I have inserted 3 replies  Smile 

Kakejiku wrote:Yvonne様へ

First I want to compliment you on the refinement of your bonsai...I especially love your semi-cascade.

---Many thanks for the compliment---I will reply on some of the points now, and come back with new Photos---

So my difficulties for interpreting your display are the following:
1. You need to make one tree the focal point of your display. In this display, all of the trees compete for the attention of my eye. I also do not know your geography, but these tree may or may not exist simultaneously.

---Yes, the trees compete...my first intension was to have the Juniper as the maintree, as it is the tallest, but it did not Work as well with the direction of the acer in the background, as I had hoped... when I exchanged their places it was a little better....But now was the kaskade the focalpoint, not a terrible good option...also did I prefer a wider exhibitspace, but the EBA-rules this time only give 1 m. pr. tree...It will become a very dense exhibition.

2. I also see conflicting flow (流れ) among the various elements. For example, your semi-cascade indicates flow to the left, but the middle tree has a stopping flow to the right, which would be fine, but the stopping of the flow should be by the deciduous tree on the left.
3. The current set up with the bare deciduous (maple?) to me signals a winter display, but the scroll depicts insects (at least to my eye) which is a spring/summer theme to me.
4. The previous poster spoke about it being too congested...I agree.

My suggestions for improvement are the following...
1. Select which tree you will use as the main piece of the display. Does that mean you can not use another tree as an accent, absolutely not...it is just that the other tree should be smaller (mame?), and I would suggest it be styled as a bunjin. Bunjin tends to be a styling that will meld into the background, and would not compete for attention.

---I would use a fairly big shohin for a first tree, but never go the other way arround and use a mame in a display...But as the ideal sice of a kusamono, is half the mass as a shohin, and count as a shohin, could a kusamono with the right flow, be used in steadt of a bunjinmame---

2. The flow of your display with the Semi-cascade would be complemented by the bunjin styled accent that flows back towards your semi-cascade.
3. Define your season and make it easier for the viewer to interpret...if you are going for winter, then I would switch out the tansaku, I recommend a hawk, very small, and high up in the sky. The hawk in Japan is a common winter theme used in Gaddou style display.
4. By moving the scroll higher, and the depiction of the hawk higher in the sky it would give the viewer a sense of openness and bring more focus to the main tree...

Just a few opinions...

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:44 am

Second replies before new photos

Kakejiku wrote:
Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Kakejiku

Oops sorry missed that...spring then...Got it...Mame plum or cherry in bunjin styling with just hint of one or two blossoms would be a great accent for very early spring. I would still move the scroll higher. The blue works, but seems a little dark to me...

---as the scroll must show the season to come, will it be the beginning of summer, witch hopefully will be nice and warm. Therefore is the cool collor of the scroll nice in my opinion ( the Photo give a dark impression of the light blue collor)...if the beginning is colder do I maybe have a option in a warmer collor, I can show later.---

Could also change the color of the cloth for the scroll to be more springlike. I have a beautiful cloth brass/light brown silk that has an ever so slight butterfly pattern in it, but no one recognizes it unless they look very close...

Also prefer the painting to be done in monochrome...but just my preference.

---I have not yet found a Danish translation or explanation on what monochrome is, please let me know.---

But it is a great display in your way of four point styling as well...If you want to keep it in the current format, my only suggestions would be to switch your acer with the middle conifer and stretch the width by about 1 foot on each side. (This may be a no-no in this format to switch up the deciduous and conifer again I do not know)
The rules may be different regarding flow of the display in your four point setup (which I do not know), but the Acer with the taper eventually going to the left seems to me to complement the cascade and then if your third conifer was a little further to the left with the flow to the right it would seem a natural stopping point for the original flow of the tallest, furthest right tree...

Now off to get some scroll work done...

Now off to get some Photos taken.

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:47 pm

I was reviewing my Copy of Shohin Bonsai by Morten Albek, and low and behold, who's display did i find pictured on page 123.....
but Yvonne Graubaek's....Smile

dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi Dick

I was my very first shohindisplay...I think it was 2005...there are more of my trees in the book.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:41 am

Took some new Photos

Please remember it will be a spring display, with fresh new leaves, and a little flowers....As the displayarea only will be 1m. did I take the connifer out, due to too little Space.   the acer is more springlike, with new leaves.
On two of the Photos have I kept the scroll, but I may prefer to not use it in the exhibition, if the displays next to me use scroll...it would be to much going on, and then I would prefer to tone dawn.

The tall stand is turned as Kakejiku suggested...it is a good idea...the Photo does not show the right angle though.

Nr. 1

nr.2

nr.3

nr.4

nr.5

I have not spend any time, on trying to do the final look...wanted to keep it open for suggestions.
Again sorry for the poor quality of the Photos...I am still waiting for the strong lamps I have ordered.

I just had the news, more space is available for shohindisplays if wanted, but I think I stick to the small im. display, for not running into complications

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:22 pm

I think I like number 5 the best. I like the negative space in the display. Which display are you leaning to?

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi tmmason

I think I like the nr. 4  the best, as the kaskadestand not is stronger than the other table used...a option could be to give the acer a tronger table ( I have one)

To give a little confusing to it all have I played as I wish to, and made this display without thinking a lot about rules...
Please remember the kusamono will fill up with leaves in the spring, and take up more space

nr. 6

nr. 7...or this more quiet

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:52 pm

Very happy with #6. I like the size change of the scroll and the way the stand is off set with the taller stand. The balance among the elements is very pleasing....I know it took some effort to change things around and take all the pictures...thank-you!

dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:54 pm

I also like the small scroll very much...could it be the kusamono is one element too much?...and would it be better to place the acer on the stand, the connifer is placed on in the first Pictures, as it is lighter, and maybe fit the kaskade-stand better...or should I go more heavy with both stands? ...should I take a Photo?

Other options?

kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:15 pm

Yvonne,

Nice trees! Good job.

I find the display table under the Trident maple too fancy with the feet.

Try using the flat thin oval, free form wooden slab you had originally earlier under another tree.

Bill

William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi Bill

Many thanks for your compliment....I have two of theese thin slabs ( remains from my daizacarvings), one a Little smaller than the other...I will send more Photos tomorrow.

I would like to hear what you readers prefer...

two shohin and the kusamono and the scroll

two shohin and the kusamono

two shohin and the croll...could be interesting to hear.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:50 pm

Yvonne

My preference in order:

One Shohin bonsai/kusamono
Two Shohin bonsai

One Shohin bonsai/kusamno/scroll
Two Shohin Bonsai/scroll

William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:55 pm

I like number 6 now. Have you seen Jose's posts on gafu ten? Why if the kusamono was put in the front of the display? I do like number six just thought the gafu ten pictures migh be good to reference.

http://centrobonsaitenerife.blogspot.com/2014/01/gafu-ten-fotos-parte-1-gafu-ten-photos.html?m=1

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:09 am

Hi Bill

Good to be sharpened up a little..also there was a new aha  Smile

nr. 7

Ofcourse tmmason the kusamono is small, and should be in the front now, but I expect it to be bigger and denser in the beginning of summer, this is why I placed it in the background....many thanks for the link.

In the summer is it not difficult to think out a winterdisplay, as everyvere in my world, is the summer so full of green leaves and flowers, and I dont long for them, makes it easy for me to keep it simple...
In winter is it something else, to create a early summerdisplay now, makes me feel like using the kusamono in the display.
But I know when the spring arrives, will I not need the kusamono...and the display will be 2 shohin and one scroll

nr. 8

This stand do I think is a bit tame without the kusamono

nr.9

This one is more edgy, and add a Little power to the acer...

nr. 10

The stands shape is nice with the shape of the tall stand

Hope you like it  Smile
Kind regards Yvonne

Last edited by Yvonne Graubaek on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis on Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Yvonne,

I personally think the shape of the geometric jiita does not harmonize with the Trident maple. It may look good with the tall cascade display table, but they are far apart.

The jiita sits under the tree and more closely associated with it, not the tall cascade display table.

I like your second photo here much better without the kusamono… even with the scroll which I don't think is necessary.

IF you use a kusamono, what jiita will you use? It should be lower than the Trident maple jiita which is more important.

Remember, space is important…..

Bill

William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:45 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum