Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Record cold temps?

+7
Leo Schordje
M. Frary
William N. Valavanis
Todd Ellis
JimLewis
appalachianOwl
john jones
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Record cold temps? Empty Record cold temps?

Post  john jones Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:40 pm

The high Monday here is forecast to be -5F/-21C. The low is expected to be -15F/-26C. It is not even three weeks into winter.

I may have mentioned that I'm learning what trees I can keep alive in Iowa. From looking around at what is being sold, it's mostly tropicals and junipers. I see lots of blue spruce trees growing outside, and unknown species of pines(?), but I don't see anyone selling them for bonsai.

I've got to join that local club, but they didn't meet in December.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Record cold temps? Empty Re: Record cold temps?

Post  appalachianOwl Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:22 am

Wow, that is supa cold sir! You can grow Larix laricina (Eastern Larch) for one, you lucky dog Wink
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:24 pm

appalachianOwl wrote:Wow, that is supa cold sir! You can grow Larix laricina (Eastern Larch) for one, you lucky dog Wink

I wish I knew where to buy one.

Best regards,

John Jones.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:00 am

I wish I knew where to buy one. wrote:

search the interweb, "eastern larch for sale" or "buy e. larch" will result in a few places to aquired seedlings. As for a mature tree, beats me at the current. Am sure they there out there though... just where to look? I would recomend to aquired a few seedlings/seeds, put them in the ground for a bit. As for "size" it's all relavant to what one enjoys, personal love tiny ones aswell if not more than big ones, so would be up to you how long they stay and the dicention they take. Winter is here in force this year, stay warm john!
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:20 pm

Believe it or not, temps are supposed to drop to 5 degrees F here in western North Carolina next Monday night. It was 14 here this morning. My smaller Podocarpus is inside now, but the big one (which, alas, I can no longer move) is still outside and looks fine. I reckon I better cover it Monday.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:07 pm

I would cover it. Do you have a small heater you can put in its vicinity for the overnight? It might help. Occasionally I put the electric oil heater down by the trees when a severe cold snap is forecasted.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:14 pm

Try e-Bay for America larch. Search for larch bonsai.
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:43 am

William N. Valavanis wrote:Try e-Bay for America larch. Search for larch bonsai.

Thanks for the tip, kind sir.

I've never been a fan of e-Bay, but I'll give it a go once I educate myself a bit on the American larch.

Regards

John Jones.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:18 am

American larch is just a fancy name for Tamarack . I don't know for sure if they grow in Iowa for sure. But if you have any swamps there you should be able to find some. Right now they look like dead spruce from a distance.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:58 pm

I have had good luck buying trees from Wee Tree, in California. They specialize in mail order and do a good job of shipping. They have some bare root larches on their site right now.

http://www.weetree.com/

http://www.weetree.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=276

for seedlings, requiring many years of growth, there are many places, including Musser's Tree Farm in Pennsylvania. Cheap trees, if you are looking for material less than 5 years from seed. They are web based too.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:02 pm

At first glance, I was thinking about 5-yo plants, but I want to be reasonably sure they will survive here on a third-floor balcony. It gets into the upper 90s in the summer, and I have a SW exposure. Can larches survive that (with shading when necessary)?

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:07 pm

Also,

What's the advantage/risk of buying bare-root trees? Shipping costs? All my mail-order stuff came in pots.

Regards,

John Jones

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:18 pm

The weather folks are predicting 15 degrees for us Tuesday morning, with a wind chill of 3! I have around 24 different varieties of bananas scattered throughout my garden. Most of them are huge since it's been about three years of basically no winters here. Some of them are around 12 inches or more at ground level, and they will be reduced to very heavy mush. I just can't wait to play banana tree lumberjack... trust me, there's nothing nastier than frozen banana trees!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:22 pm

Can't imagine what that's like... will they grow back?
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:39 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:Can't imagine what that's like... will they grow back?

Sometimes. It depends on how cold the corms get. I had some bananas grow back after two winters in Memphis, TN (USDA zone 7B)

UPDATE: The high tomorrow is now forecast to be minus 6F/minus 21C.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:51 pm

For me, yes, they will all grow back. I'll just have to wait until the summer of 2016 before I see fruit again.... provided THIS doesn't happen again next winter!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:51 pm

It's 8:41 a.m. and we've already had our high temperature for the day (38 degrees F).  Low tonight is predicted to be 4 degrees (wind chill to minus 10 or 11).  High tomorrow 24 degrees and 14 that night.  All this is unheard of for this part of the state.   (The low in Asheville, a few miles up the mountain, is expected to be ZERO!)

Most of my little trees are in the garage.  The rest out on the table have to fend for themselves; I expect to lose a few.  I'm wrapping my large Podocarpus, but have little hope for its survival.  The smaller one has been inside for days.  

Record cold temps? 6_11c10
Picture from a few years ago.

The outside cats are coming inside tonight; horses in the barn.  I don't expect to poke my head outdoors more than I have to for the next 2 days; the cold exacerbates my breathing problems.  

All in all, CRAPPY weather here -- though I know many of us have worse up north (like wind chills to 50 below!) -- but I don't/won't/never would live up there.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:25 pm

Speaking of bananas, Russell sent me a few banana tubers a few years ago. They are growing nicely in my heated greenhouse and we brought the largest plant into the house. It was moved to make room for our Christmas tree, which is coming down today. Well, when I got up this morning the banana "tree" fell over and broke off a few leaves, which were interesting.

Remember the leaves are large, I'm not…..

Bill

Record cold temps? Banana11
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:39 pm

Glad to hear they are doing so well!!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Record cold temps? Empty It Was a Toasty 15 Degrees Above Zero F Today.

Post  john jones Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:37 pm

The high Friday is forecast to be 35 F.  This is more like it!   I lost a Japanese Black Pine so far.   It was the first pine  I ever tried to raise as a bonsai.

Last edited by john jones on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:01 am; edited 2 times in total

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:40 pm

How do you know the Japanese black pine is dead already?

I've had considerable experience with overwintering loss during the past decades. Often, a plant will remain green, sometimes even leaf out and in June, when our hot weather arrives, will suddenly dies because of the dead roots.
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:46 pm

William N. Valavanis wrote:How do you know the Japanese black pine is dead already?

I've had considerable experience with overwintering loss during the past decades. Often, a plant will remain green, sometimes even leaf out and in June, when our hot weather arrives, will suddenly dies because of the dead roots.

Because the needles have all turned a pale yellow. It was never a very vibrant tree. I got it on sale.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:01 am

john jones wrote:
William N. Valavanis wrote:How do you know the Japanese black pine is dead already?

Because the needles have all turned a pale yellow.   It was never a very vibrant tree.  I got it on sale.    

This sounds like a dormant and perhaps stressed JBP, but not a dead JBP...they have brown needles.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:40 am

Dave Murphy wrote:
john jones wrote:

Because the needles have all turned a pale yellow.   It was never a very vibrant tree.  I got it on sale.    

This sounds like a dormant and perhaps stressed JBP, but not a dead JBP...they have brown needles.

I hope you're right.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:35 pm

JimLewis wrote:It's 8:41 a.m. and we've already had our high temperature for the day (38 degrees F).  Low tonight is predicted to be 4 degrees (wind chill to minus 10 or 11).  High tomorrow 24 degrees and 14 that night.  All this is unheard of for this part of the state.   (The low in Asheville, a few miles up the mountain, is expected to be ZERO!)

Most of my little trees are in the garage.  The rest out on the table have to fend for themselves; I expect to lose a few.  I'm wrapping my large Podocarpus, but have little hope for its survival.  The smaller one has been inside for days.  
[...]

Let us know about those Podocarpus.  I have one near and dear.

Things are looking up here.  The lowest high the next ten days is forecast to be +28F.  I can live with that.

For all my complaining this season, the worst winter I've seen here was in 2009/2010.  We got temps of minus 20F/ minus 29C, and five feet of snow. This winter is better.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next