Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie Question about propagation

5 posters

Go down

Newbie Question about propagation Empty Newbie Question about propagation

Post  DV in LA Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:55 pm

I've been interested in Bonsai for quite some time and was recently given a pre-bonsai Juniper Parsonii. With it being winter here in Louisiana there isn't a ton that I can do with it right now. In my down time I would like to start propagating some new trees for this coming spring but not sure which direction to take. Are there any trees, whether softwood or hardwood cuttings that can be taken during winter time successfully? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

DV in LA

Back to top Go down

Newbie Question about propagation Empty Re: Newbie Question about propagation

Post  arihato Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:23 pm

I suppose that it is winter in Louisiana too? That is not a good time to make cuttings imo. You will have to wait till spring at least.
arihato
arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  DV in LA Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:41 am

That's what I figured, thanks! I read an article that said you can try to propagate deciduous trees during winter with hardwood cuttings but with a fairly low (and lengthy) success rate.

DV in LA

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:00 pm

DV welcome to insanity. Your best use of the winter would be to find a club you can join. And to learn as much as you can by reading books and selectively reading and viewing videos here on the internet. Remember your first task is to learn how to keep a tree alive for years and years. It is almost impossible to create a bonsai from a dead tree.
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Newbie Question about propagation Empty Devil's Advocate - Give It A Shot

Post  mrcasey Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:51 am

I've had remarkable success taking shimpaku juniper cuttings all through winter.  Typically, I wait till January, but I'm not sure it matters.  
I know it sounds crazy, but I don't use bottom heat, misting, rooting hormone, shading, or any kind of enclosure.  I just stick the things
in the ground.  Sure enough in spring, most of the tips plump up, turn a beautiful  bright green, and I'm off to the races.  I don't get 100%, but I'd bet I get above 70%.  Hell, I've even had Japanese Black Pine root this way (not many though).    

This might be the fly in the cut paste... I've never worked with J. parsonii but I understand it has an upright habit.  I've heard that some of the upright (as opposed to spreading) junipers are a real b**** to root from cuttings.  

Casey
Zone 6 WV

mrcasey

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:26 am

I have also started many new trees by simply pushing cut pieces into the ground in the garden. I've had good success with Coastal and Dawn Redwoods, Tillia cordata, Coralbark Maples, Podocarpus (dwarf type), Buxus, Elms, Larch and some others.

In my area I find I have to shade the cuttings through the heat of summer, our summer is hot and dry, no rain and very low humidity. I use shade cloth or just let the grass grow tall around them. I lost a whole line of Dawn Redwoods when my helper cut the grass in mid-summer.

I'm not in the cutting business and I'm not really trying to start more stock, I just have trouble throwing things away. I'm always amazed how much 'trash' turns into new trees.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down