Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indoor Bonsai under LED lights.

+35
pvinpvin
mgamhov
fiona
Bonsai Jay
Skyfowler
coh
Jesse
Alfalex
bucknbonsai
funckdren
kensei
JeroenK
AlainK
kimo
Tentakelaertje
JWT
laithmarmash
marc74
Pippi
davtree
bwaynef
Khaimraj Seepersad
giga
Dalton Duffett
lordy
augustine
brett2013
RKatzin
jgeanangel
Ryan
Leo Schordje
xuan le
JimLewis
Jerry Meislik
Dreamcast
39 posters

Page 10 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 Empty Re: Indoor Bonsai under LED lights.

Post  Ryan Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:25 pm

Dreamcast wrote:Looks very nice indeed! Smile do you run the light with or without the fan cover? from my experience the light stays a lot cooler without the cover.

I'm just running it as is. I really can't take the "fan cover" off. I will, however, be selling the tent, as since it's so small I can only fit one tree in it, which doesn't really work too well.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 Empty Re: Indoor Bonsai under LED lights.

Post  Ryan Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:45 am

I'll be building a PVC frame tomorrow. PVC is great because it's light and doesn't need screwing and all that work that wood requires. I'll be able to hang the light from the frame and attach mylar as well. Stay tuned.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:02 am

Staying tuned! Smile I assume you will have a open roof design then so you will not be needing any exhaust fans?
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:10 pm

Then again, I'm still undecided about the tent. I have it so I might as well use it.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:13 am

Maybe this Modular tent thing from HOMEbox could be something for you since you have a rather "hard" time finding something that really fit your needs.
Then you can build whatever size tent area you desire, and you can also increase or decrees the size anytime depending on your needs, a very clever design i think. Smile

https://www.homebox.net/en/products/modular/

Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  kimo Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:51 am

a tent for bonsai ?.That's new

kimo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:10 am

Kimo, its not tents you use while camping and such, its a special horticultural product. Its the kind of "tent" i was using before this new setup. Smile
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:32 pm

I set up the light stand today:
Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 UEnye1El
Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 UM6bixil

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:46 am

Looks great, Ryan. Smile
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  kimo Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:24 pm

got it

kimo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:30 pm

I've started moving them indoors, do we'll see what happens.

Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 GxLNeX7l
Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 QCTDs82l
Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 HIg8Phrl

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:06 pm

So, that's a ficus grown in subtropical China and imported to your country that you're keeping in a plastic cage.

Good. Looks nice. Very "naturalistic".

I had a friend who used to grow plants in such an environment, but not Ficus (he's now found plants that can mature in 3-month's time, outside).

I even read (on this forum ?) about people attempting to grow green pepper bonsai in Finland - or was it Iceland ? - using such devices. Wonder what's become of them.

Good luck. albino
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:47 pm

AlainK wrote:So, that's a ficus grown in subtropical China and imported to your country that you're keeping in a plastic cage.

Good. Looks nice. Very "naturalistic".

I had a friend who used to grow plants in such an environment, but not Ficus (he's now found plants that can mature in 3-month's time, outside).

I even read (on this forum ?) about people attempting to grow green pepper bonsai in Finland - or was it Iceland ? - using such devices. Wonder what's become of them.

Good luck. albino

This isn't in a "cage". It's just under a frame so that the light can support it. This isn't grown this way year round, it goes outdoors in the summer where it looks more "naturalistic".

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:56 pm

Oh, all right then.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:09 am

This is strictly for the cold months.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:43 pm

Alain K, why are you trying to make us indoor grower seam like "idiots"?

Do you mean this guy in Finland who grow Chili Bonsai?
http://www.fatalii.net/bonsai_chiles_bonchi
Don't know exactly what setup he uses except his greenhouse, but i think his results are quite good not only with "Bonchis" but with growing Chilis in the cold north overall, or are they also "pale" results?

Let everyone do there own thing, don't have anything nice, non sarcastic or constructive to say? then please say nothing at all. Smile

Last edited by Dreamcast on Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:04 pm

The new setup is working great! But the plastic greenhouses are not keeping up, plastic tears very easily and zipper start jamming already after just a couple of months, i will have to come up with something better and soon, thinking of quality Terrariums.

Well, even if the setup is partly falling apart.. trees are growing very well and development is steady moving forward!
They respond very well to ex. defoliation and hard cutbacks and rapidly show new and strong growth, and aerial roots are not a problem any more. Wink all this is clearly due to the much more favorable tropic like conditions in the new setup.
Some algae forms on the water in the bottom tray after around 3-4 weeks, so i now clean and refill the trays every 2 weeks, problem solved. Except for that i see no pest, mold or fungus problems, so far so good.

Here are some photos, i am trying my best to get better at photographing my trees, will invest in a new camera and some more gear soon. Smile

Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 20151010
Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 20151011
Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 20151012
Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 20151013
Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 20151014

Have some future Bonchi material growing in one of the small Homebox tents under the DIY LED from LEDgroupbuy, its a very fun little project, looking good so far. Smile
Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 20151015
Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 20151016
Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 20151017
Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 20151018
Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 20151019

Very Happy
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:05 pm

Both lights are hung and things look great!
Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 Dscn0013
Indoor Bonsai under LED lights. - Page 10 Dscn0014

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:42 am

Ryan, indeed that setup looks great! so dose your trees, all green and lush. Smile

Is the plan to use one additional light in between the two frames or is the crossing light enough for that middle tree?
If you don't have one yet, i can really recommend getting a simple cheap LUX meter, its a great tool to see where there are light hotspots and where light is lacking. Smile
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  JeroenK Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:15 am

Interesting to see your nice set-ups. The results look promissing.

I'm starting to experiment myself on artificial lights on ficus and carmona trees. For this I was wondering if you're mimicking seasons and provide a resting period with reduced lighting (and fertilisation and watering) for your indoor trees.

If I recall correctly, Jerry Meislik writes in his Book "Ficus, The Exotic Bonsai" that a resting period for ficus is not necessary but also the need for a resting period is species dependent and might require some experimentation.

What is your approach to this?

JeroenK

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:26 am

JeroenK wrote:Interesting to see your nice set-ups. The results look promissing.

I'm starting to experiment myself on artificial lights on ficus and carmona trees. For this I was wondering if you're mimicking seasons and provide a resting period with reduced lighting (and fertilisation and watering) for your indoor trees.

If I recall correctly, Jerry Meislik writes in his Book "Ficus, The Exotic Bonsai" that a resting period for ficus is not necessary but also the need for a resting period is species dependent and might require some experimentation.

What is your approach to this?    

Hello JeroenK Smile

If you grow your ficus trees under the same amount of artificial light for around 16 hours a day all year round, then there is no need for a resting period nor change in fertilization or water routines.
At least this how i do it, easy, simple and very very rewarding, especially in the darkness of winter when i can work on my ficus trees. Very Happy

Think what Jerry may be referring to are the non tropical species of ficus.

Have very little experience with Carmona, had one malsai many years ago when i started out in Bonsai, it died offcourse Wink but if its a tropical tree then there should be no difference then growing ficus under artificial lights, but if its a sub-tropical tree then it may want a colder spot to rest in under winter.

Hope this helps, and please do share some info on your setup and trees, maybe some photos? Smile
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  JeroenK Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Hi Dreamcast,

Thank your for your reply. For now my setup is not worth showing, as it consists merely of a 10w LED light as an addition to natural light. Though I'm studying this thread as inspiration for my setup improvements.
For my information, do you use additional heating to assure sufficient temperature? I believe Yvonne advised 30 deg Celcius as a general air temperature, which I doubt I can reach with only the waste heat of the single led light. It's a 10 watt 70 Lumen/watt light.

JeroenK

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:47 pm

JeroenK, all indoor Bonsai setups are worth showing in this thread no matter how small, and its also easier to discuss once setups, give advice and so forth when having a visual. Smile

Nope no extra heating needed so far, it has been steady 27-30 C in both propagators with only the radiating heat from the lights, but colder times are coming... think i will just ad some small Osram LED spots if i have to keep heat up. Smile
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:45 pm

Dreamcast wrote:Ryan, indeed that setup looks great! so dose your trees, all green and lush. Smile

Is the plan to use one additional light in between the two frames or is the crossing light enough for that middle tree?
If you don't have one yet, i can really recommend getting a simple cheap LUX meter, its a great tool to see where there are light hotspots and where light is lacking. Smile

I don't plan on adding more lighting. That tree in the middle should be okay, it's getting enough from the two I believe.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  kensei Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:14 pm

Ryan,

Which type of Onyx have you used: the veg (cool white) one or the other? I have noticed that Onyx uses only white LEDs, do you think it could be any advantage to Sanlight M30 approach (which uses mix of colors, I guess)?

Best regards,
Marcin

P.S. Great thread!

kensei

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next