Repotting a juniper.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Repotting a juniper.

Post  JustinJames on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:12 pm

I live in Okeechobee Florida. I was wondering if it's safe do major root pruning and re pot a juniper right now....

JustinJames

Back to top Go down

Re: Repotting a juniper.

Post  JimLewis on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:55 pm

If you are experienced in repotted juniper aftercare, yes.  If not, spring is always better.

Moved to bonsai questions.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  arihato on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:15 am

I would seek out someone knowledgeable in your neck of the woods. Your climate is so very different from mine (Holland) that anything I say would be a guess.

Maybe if the tree is growing, you could repot. If it is dormant wait till spring hits your place.

arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  amanluthra688 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:14 am

Hi.
Tropical repotting of juniper is done from dec to feb in india.

amanluthra688

Back to top Go down

Post  JustinJames on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:11 am

Thanks for the info.  90% of the time I ask a question on here everyone beats around the bush... no definitive answers are usually given (with exception of few)

JustinJames

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:11 am

Why not amend your title to repotting a juniper in Florida - that may attract the attention of those who have the right experience. Or to be precise, it may attract more of the folk with experience as Jim has lived in Florida. Worth a try.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  arihato on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:26 am

Justin, what would you rather have, a definite answer that might be 'a load of bull', or an honest answer that we (me) don't know. I answer questions from my experience of 35 years of growing Bonsai, as I never lived in Florida I don't know. Your complaint comes across as childish.

arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:42 pm

Okeechobee Florida is in "south" Florida, but some distance north of Miami and in the middle of the state, away from the direct influence of the ocean or the Gulf of Mexico. It has been known to freeze, there but probably only in December or early January. Juniper probably only have a brief dormancy.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:28 pm

I do harder root pruning on Junipers in March here in SWFL ( Naples area). I do major root pruning projects over 2 years. I have gotten away with it in October and November before. However, it really depends on how vigorous and how old the tree is, besides considering the obvious basics as soil and even container. If you have to do major root pruning to just fit it into the container, careful planning and thinking down the road will get you there. Happy Holidays.

Best,
Dorothy Schmitz

dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:15 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum