What would you do with this top?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What would you do with this top?

Post  LittleJoe on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:23 pm



This is the back. It doesn't look as bad from the front.



Side view




In another post Iris said to thin it out, but I really don't like the bulbous look.
I'm inclined to chop it down to the main branches and see what happens.

Thought's, Idea's?

Thanks for looking,
Joe

LittleJoe
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  Tom on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:35 pm

I would consider cutting it back to the very lowest branch. You have another lump waiting to happen between those two bar branches.
I'd also cut off the big circling root if possible.

Tom
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Little Joe,

Do nothing until very late spring, when outdoor temperatures are above 55 deg.F at night.
Learn to keep it healthy first.

Yes, it has a bar branch and needs to grow out a bit.
However, Health first.

May also need repotting in late spring for branch extensions and root work.
Please come back and ask.
Best to you.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  LittleJoe on Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Little Joe,

Do nothing until very late spring, when outdoor temperatures are above 55 deg.F at night.
Learn to keep it healthy first.

Yes, it has a bar branch and needs to grow out a bit.
However, Health first.

May also need repotting in late spring for branch extensions and root work.
Please come back and ask.
Best to you.
Khaimraj

That's my plan for all my tree's this winter. I was just looking for some ideas. I probably have 4-5 months to think about it.

Thanks,
Joe

LittleJoe
Member


Back to top Go down

Top

Post  lennard on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:45 pm

Maybe you could air layer the top - looks like the top has potential for a future clump style.

You can get away with the bar branches by bringing up one a little bit higher and go for an flat open umbrella canopy.

?

Lennard

lennard
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  leszekrybak65 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:49 am

Hi Joe, if it was my tree I'd chop it down to the main branches, just like you are inclined to... You have a bulge where 3 branches emerge from the trunk - not only bar branch from the front but also a back one. I'd get rid of the back one, carve out some of the bulge and bring up one of the bar branches as a new top and go from there. It is a ficus, looks like a strong and healthy one so you will be able to build a nice structure fast. I'd do it now, the way the tree is growing now nothing good will ever come out of it. I also aree with Tom regarding the circling root: get rid of it, it spoils otherwise pretty nice surface rootsand trunk flare...
Good luck...

leszekrybak65
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  LittleJoe on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:47 pm

Well this is what I did back in July:



I then wired the remaining branch upward, and let it grow.

This is what I have now:





What now? I plan to re pot in the spring and remove that circle root, but what about the rest of the tree?

Thank you for looking,

LittleJoe
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:48 am

Little Joe,

keep it healthy, and those shoots will become branches. Interesting as well, the airpot, but isn't the blue knob supposed to be on the outside of the pot?

I don't know if this will work for you, got a cutting to test the idea?
Okay, I found that the ficus we have grow well in a simple mix of just  5 mm gravel [ silica based ] at 90 % to compost 10 % by volume and keeping the container shallow, say 1" [ 2.5 cm ] deep pots.

As the year passes, I am adding a teaspoon to tablespoon of compost [ just decayed leaves / weeds / vegetable scraps, but aged for at least year , no particles are recognizable ] as the compost " melts" into the soil.
I also have an active population of pill bugs, who seem to be burrowing and opening up air spaces constantly.

My fertiliser will be as I used to in the past - dry season - Always weekly and into - MOIST Soil ,1/3 Lawn Fertiliser miracle gro, and June - Wet season an osmocote type 6 month long fertliser [ designed for 30 deg.C ] one application only.

I am also getting excellent results using Lecca [ Hydroponic pebbles - they are on-line - 8 to 12 mm and home made hand rolled fired clay pebbles - 5 to 8 mm - Idea seen care of Yvonne G.] also with same % compost as read above.
Hope this helps.
Khaimraj

Here is an example. This is a very shallow pot, and the trunk diameter has reached it's limit for supporting a given number of leaves. I intend to after 2nd of January 2015, use a larger and slightly deeper pot, to observe and see if as the trunk thickens , the density of the leaves will increase.



Second example, but old image 9/ 2013, still have to do one for this year. Same idea, but this Ficus type, a local one, has increased the trunk size and it's ablity to hold more leaves. Trunk thickening is achieved simply by branch extension.


Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  Precarious on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:50 am

Nice remedial work. If it were mine, at this point or soon- no hurry really- I would wire the left branch down, the next branch up being the top. And I would wire the two right branches out laterally and begin to grow for ramification. That's my humble input. I really like the trunk line.

Alllllternativelyyyy.... you could grow it as a dragon. It already has the tail and legs. Just sayin'. Wink

Precarious
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  LittleJoe on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:26 am

Precarious wrote:Nice remedial work.  If it were mine, at this point or soon- no hurry really- I would wire the left branch down, the next branch up being the top.  And I would wire the two right branches out laterally and begin to grow for ramification.  That's my humble input.  I really like the trunk line.

Alllllternativelyyyy.... you could grow it as a dragon.  It already has the tail and legs.  Just sayin'. Wink

Do tell about this Dragon option! I am a Dragon freak,

but some how don't see it Sad

LittleJoe
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  LittleJoe on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:32 am

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Little Joe,

keep it healthy, and those shoots will become branches. Interesting as well, the airpot, but isn't the blue knob supposed to be on the outside of the pot?

I don't know if this will work for you, got a cutting to test the idea?
Okay, I found that the ficus we have grow well in a simple mix of just  5 mm gravel [ silica based ] at 90 % to compost 10 % by volume and keeping the container shallow, say 1" [ 2.5 cm ] deep pots.

As the year passes, I am adding a teaspoon to tablespoon of compost [ just decayed leaves / weeds / vegetable scraps, but aged for at least year , no particles are recognizable ] as the compost " melts" into the soil.
I also have an active population of pill bugs, who seem to be burrowing and opening up air spaces constantly.

My fertiliser will be as I used to in the past - dry season - Always weekly and into - MOIST Soil ,1/3 Lawn Fertiliser miracle gro, and June - Wet season an osmocote type 6 month long fertliser [ designed for 30 deg.C ] one application only.

I am also getting excellent results using Lecca [ Hydroponic pebbles - they are on-line - 8 to 12 mm and home made hand rolled fired clay pebbles - 5 to 8 mm - Idea seen care of Yvonne G.] also with same % compost as read above.
Hope this helps.
Khaimraj

Here is an example. This is a very shallow pot, and the trunk diameter has reached it's limit for supporting a given number of leaves. I intend to after 2nd of January 2015, use a larger and slightly deeper pot, to observe and see if as the trunk thickens , the density of the leaves will increase.



Second example, but old image 9/ 2013, still have to do one for this year. Same idea, but this Ficus type, a local one, has increased the trunk size and it's ablity to hold more leaves. Trunk thickening is achieved simply by branch extension.


Khai,

As to the air pot, I was thinking the cutting may need a little more water so I put it together backwards. I'm new at this cuttings thing and just thought what I though. I really like your idea. I think I'll try that with said cutting. Funny, I was just telling the wife the other day. We need a composter....She's a city girl so I'll save you the look I got.
Thank you for your reply,

LittleJoe
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 am

Joe,

if you would like a dragon, try learning to graft, you could insert a shoot into the coiled root, you plan to remove, before removal mind you.
If you choose to, and are successful, get back to me, and I will supply more information.

As to the mother plant, you should focus on just getting it healthy, growing out, probably late spring. I wouldn't suggest wire as ficus grows so easily, and responds well to Grow and Clip [ Lingnan ]. Also they wire scar easily and horribly, and the scars can last.

The problem with ficus is, the fine shoots thicken rapidly and easily. You can use the Chinese solution of focusing on decorative roots [ see Library - Hu Yun Hua's book on Penjing - white covered book ] and just a green hat on top.
Or you can try to create a tree type shape, which is what I am more accustomed to down here.
Will try to help you, which ever way you choose.
Good Luck with Winter and Tropicals, better man than I.
Later.
Khai [ cool contraction most just do the Kim bit Laughing ]


Last edited by Khaimraj Seepersad on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  LanceMac10 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:55 pm

LittleJoe wrote:
Precarious wrote:Nice remedial work.  If it were mine, at this point or soon- no hurry really- I would wire the left branch down, the next branch up being the top.  And I would wire the two right branches out laterally and begin to grow for ramification.  That's my humble input.  I really like the trunk line.

Alllllternativelyyyy.... you could grow it as a dragon.  It already has the tail and legs.  Just sayin'. Wink

Do tell about this Dragon option! I am a Dragon freak,

but some how don't see it Sad

Makes me want to pull out my Klipsch speakers!!!!

LanceMac10
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  Precarious on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Clear at the top of this thread, the second picture struck me as a dragon. Two roots serve as the front legs, and the curving root is a tail curling around from behind. With the trunk as a sinuous body and neck, development of half-folded wings from two side branches, and then of course a head, would allow one to imagine a sitting dragon.

Precarious
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  LittleJoe on Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:05 pm

Precarious wrote:Clear at the top of this thread, the second picture struck me as a dragon.  Two roots serve as the front legs, and the curving root is a tail curling around from behind.  With the trunk as a sinuous body and neck, development of half-folded wings from two side branches, and then of course a head, would allow one to imagine a sitting dragon.

Was this what you where thinking?










Please ignore the wiring, I'm still very new at it.

I'd also like to take the shoot coming off the back and graft it into the "tail" as Khai suggested. Just don't have the knowledge or guts to try it yet.

Merry Christmas,

LittleJoe
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  Precarious on Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:07 am

Yeah, Joe, that's pretty much what I envisioned. I'm pretty much with you on the grafting, but I like Khai's idea for the tail though. ThumbsUp

Precarious
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  LittleJoe on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:39 pm

I tried to do a graft to add as a tail and it failed. So, I gave up on the dragon idea. Re-potted about 6 weeks ago, and this is how she looks now.






LittleJoe
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do with this top?

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:26 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum