Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Larch first styling.

3 posters

Go down

Larch first styling. Empty Larch first styling.

Post  Jack Carrack Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:54 am

Just finished the initial styling of a Larch I bought at a boot sale this year.
I'd had my eye on it on eBay for a while and after seeing it in the flesh, with a boot sale friendly price, I pulled the trigger.

Here is is after getting it home.
Larch first styling. 9758335056_a33d3aaf20
Larch from Mike Konig by Jack the drummer, on Flickr

No photos of it naked before any work, but this is one part way through styling.
Larch first styling. 10965529034_f6dc4075af
IMG_2518 by Jack the drummer, on Flickr

And here's what I've ended up with (with a sacrificial branch at the bottom covered with some paper)
Larch first styling. 10965593823_3a1162d32a
IMG_2527 by Jack the drummer, on Flickr

Here's a youtube link to a quick 360 or the tree. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar4EXcuO1TM&feature=youtu.be

I'm debating removing the top or jinning it, but it's staying for now. I feel it's a tree that originally was much taller, it's apex was very heavy and years of strong winds and heavy snow, it finally broke off. A new leader took it's place and it's developing from there which is why it has a more juvenile feel to it.

I'm hoping the sacrifice branch will help to add some taper and or help with the development of the roots on that side.
There's still some work to be done on the deadwood which I haven't done anything with yet.

Thoughts please.

Jack Carrack

Back to top Go down

Larch first styling. Empty Re: Larch first styling.

Post  Neli Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:58 am

You have done a good job. Did you carve it on top...or it was like that?
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Nice piece of material Jack, especially the nebari which seems to be a weak point of many Larch bonsai.

I also like the way you've styled the branches, nice movement.

Personally I'd resist the temptation to jin the top though. The tree already has some nice natural looking dead wood which could perhaps be enhanced but otherwise I think the image you've created is very pleasing and suits your narrative of a tree which was originally much taller but succumbed to the ravages of a harsh mountain climate etc!

Thanks for sharing.

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down