Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Witches Broom on Black Pine?

+3
MrFancyPlants
William N. Valavanis
Eastern Bonsai
7 posters

Go down

Witches Broom on Black Pine? Empty Witches Broom on Black Pine?

Post  Eastern Bonsai Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:40 pm

Hello fellow bonsai friends,
I came across a large Black Pine (probably planted in late 70's or 80's) with a large Witches Broom on a lower branch. The growth is extremely dense. I was wondering what time of year is best to attempt propagation? I am in the Western New York area and have successfully rooted hard wood cutting in late fall, but have never tries pines. Any recommendation would be great, will try and get a picture uploaded in a couple days.
Thanks,
Abe
Eastern Bonsai
Eastern Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Witches Broom on Black Pine? Empty Re: Witches Broom on Black Pine?

Post  William N. Valavanis Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:55 pm

Abe. Generally pines do not successfully root from cuttings. They are usually grafted in late winter or in spring.

Bill.

I look forward to see the photo.
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Be careful not to post the coordinates along with the photo.  Bill has been known to flout the local law enforcement and climb way up in to trees in order to acquire such new varietals.
pirat
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi Abe,
I can't help you with propagating advice aside from recommending an air layer. My old mentor from Northern Virginia bonsai club has had a lot of success with J.B.P. airlayers. That said, here's a link to my post in the IBC lounge of a witches broom that I saw in the mountains yesterday:

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t14559-took-a-drive-on-skyline-drive-in-the-blue-ridge-mountains

Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Eastern Bonsai Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I should have a photo up by Monday. Coordinates are safe !!! Will gladly share a few, just don't want to attempt anything without getting better information first. I look forward to sharing a photo.
Abe
Eastern Bonsai
Eastern Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:54 am

Have you thought about air layering?

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:08 pm

grafting is the way - make sure you have plenty of standard black pine seedlings to use as root stock, a little live sphagnum moss, clear plastic wrap etc , seek experienced advice if need be and have the perfect aftercare place set up ready. If you dont have everything ready wait before risking ruining the material.

Early grafts will not really be done to be bonsai - they will be your potential stock plants - you need to see if it remains a true genetic dwarf once separated from the parent tree first though as stronger full sized growth may follow. After 2 or 3 years the stock plants can be used to start producing a few potential bonsai.

good luck
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:31 pm

Great information Marcus, thank you.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Eastern Bonsai Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks for all the great information! I decided to wait until spring, being that snow has begun to fall here in WNY. Here are the pictures, sorry so late.
Abe
Witches Broom on Black Pine? 00510
Witches Broom on Black Pine? 00610
Witches Broom on Black Pine? 00710
Witches Broom on Black Pine? 00910
Witches Broom on Black Pine? 01010
Eastern Bonsai
Eastern Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:13 pm

Are you sure they are Japanese black pine, Pinus thunbergi?

The needles on the broom look good and straight, however, I don't see many multiple buds on the branch ends. Looks interesting and worth propagating and watching.

Anyways, try to graft some scions. I would clean up the dead needles and twigs to allow more light to penetrate the inner branches.

Good luck!

Bill

PS: What ever you do, do NOT air layer the entire broom or try to root the heavy branch. This looks like a treasure and it would be a shame to lose it.
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:27 pm

William N. Valavanis wrote:Are you sure they are Japanese black pine, Pinus thunbergi?
Maybe P. nigra instead?
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down