A bit of history

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A bit of history

Post  JimLewis on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:47 pm

We now have 109 pages of messages in our "Bonsai Discussion" forum. In an excess of having nothing better to do, I took a look back at Page 1. This was a stellar contribution. Thanks -- again -- Jeremy.

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t8-xmasbonsai-open-day-2008

I was struck by some of the old names who posted on that one page of posts -- too many of them long gone.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Re: A bit of history

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:25 pm

Alan Walker is still active on Facebook.
Later.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Speaking of History

Post  john jones on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:22 am

Is this the same IBC forum that was tied to a USENET newsgroup of a similar name way back in the day? I was a member a long time ago (early 2000s), but life intervened.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Speaking of History

Post  bonsaisr on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:10 am

The selfsame. Some of us have been members since about 1992.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:42 am

bonsaisr wrote:The selfsame. Some of us have been members since about 1992.
Iris
Excellent. I feel at home already, Iris.

Is there still a connection to USENET? Many ISPs have stopped supporting USENET newsgroups.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:57 am

Is there still a connection to USENET? Many ISPs have stopped supporting USENET newsgroups.
No. We used to have a Web-USENET connection (several years ago), but it was clunky and one-way and it was dropped, or the middleman stopped supporting it -- I can't recall.

Last I checked there still was a USENET bonsai group, but that was some time ago. It is/was so filled with SPAM, some of it pretty nasty, that I stopped looking.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

History

Post  bonsaisr on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:57 pm

It is called Rec.Arts.Bonsai. It is still functioning. I often refer questioners to IBC. Sci.Bio.Botany, on the other hand, is a sad case. They are now Google groups.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:06 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum