Shipping Trees from the US to Thailand

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shipping Trees from the US to Thailand

Post  Twisted Trees on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Does anyone know anything about rules and regulations for shipping trees from America to Thailand?

Twisted Trees
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Shipping Trees from the US to Thailand

Post  Leo Schordje on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:38 pm

I don't know about Thailand. But I did export orchids once, paperwork was odious, vowed to never do it again. But they were orchids and those are on CITES Appendix 2, which is a separate nightmare. If the species is not listed as endangered or threatened, then you don't have to worry about CITES. At a minimum you will have to get a Phytosanitary Certificate. The inspection is done by APHIS, (Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service), a dept of USDA.

If you have a local nursery that exports to another country, doesn't have to be Thailand, they will know the local system, and do get inspected on some sort of schedule. Talk to them, for a fee, they may export for you. Talk to Brussel Martin, he imports often enough, he may also have done export.

Most international airports that have Customs for passengers have an APHIS agent on duty. Best is to hit an airport, preferably one that receives air freight from overseas. At least one of the NYC airports will have an APHIS office. I used the Chicago OHare International Airport office of APHIS. By the way, root nematodes are one of the APHIS targets, so the tree will have to be shipped bare root. I believe long fibre New Zealand Sphagnum moss has been approved as a sterile soil substitute for shipping purposes, so the plant will have to be bare rooted, roots washed free of soil, then roots wrapped in moss before the APHIS inspection. Bring the tree in the box it will be shipped in, with all the packing material needed, once inspected the inspector will watch you seal the box, then the Phytosanitary Cert Label will be slapped on.

The rest of the paperwork required will need to come from the recipient. The tree as it travels needs at least 3, (for orchids it is up to 7) pieces of paper to accompany the shipment when it is shipped. The recipients import permit, phytosanitary certificate, and the third will be the bill of lading or airbill if you use FedEx.

Another resource is to talk to your FedEx office. They handle a lot of export, and have agents dedicated to the process.

Regulations change several times a year. It has been more than 10 years since I last exported an orchid, so that is the reason I am vague about exactly what you need.

It is a big project, but if you view it as an interesting project to figure out how this works, you should be able to wade through it. Plan at least 60 days of time lag to pull all papers and permissions together. You will have a few episodes of hurry up then wait for the bureaucrat game.

Good luck.

Leo Schordje
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Shipping Trees from the US to Thailand

Post  Twisted Trees on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Thanks for the info. Probably won't happen because of the bare rooting.

Twisted Trees
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Shipping Trees from the US to Thailand

Post  Leo Schordje on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:16 pm

I believe you don't have to bare root until you have all the recipient's paperwork, and everything excewot the Phyto. You have the Phytosanitary Certificate done the day you ship, bare root the tree, wash the roots clean, pack in damp sphagnum, head over to the APHIS office, have the tree inspected, seal the box up, and drop it off at the FedEx office there near where you had it inspected. The tree is in the moss, only the time it is in transit.

Best to time the shipment to coincide with normal repotting season for that tree species.

Or you could do like one orchid grower I knew of. Ship them as textile samples. All you would need is the recipients import sticker. On the average, about 75% of the shipments get through. The other 25% get caught. Usually first time caught it is only a fine. Which may or may not be fine $$$. Evil or Very Mad 

Leo Schordje
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Shipping Trees from the US to Thailand

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:07 pm

Leo,

some countries expect a nematode treatment as well.
Later.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Shipping Trees from the US to Thailand

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:07 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum