Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rough design for my new Bonsai themed tattoo

4 posters

Go down

Rough design for my new Bonsai themed tattoo Empty Rough design for my new Bonsai themed tattoo

Post  Harleyrider Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:34 pm

I've had a few requests for pics of my tattoos of late, but I'm having difficulty locating any good ones. I only really have them taken at conventions so they tend to live in other peoples' cameras.
However, I'm currently working on a new design which will be done down my thigh at the Manchester Tattoo Convention in march next year. The rough sketch is below. It will eventually be the tree with a waterfall behind cascading down rocks into a pool below, with one (or two?) cranes fishing for koi. In contrast to my other work, it will be mainly black and grey except for the leaves of the tree and the crimson flashes on top of the cranes heads.
[img]Rough design for my new Bonsai themed tattoo Human_bonsaipec[/img]

So, whaddya think?
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Rough design for my new Bonsai themed tattoo Empty Re: Rough design for my new Bonsai themed tattoo

Post  Treebeard Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:10 pm

I like the gnarly, twisty trunk, but I'm not sure that the leaves match scratch Too big? Too neat?

Either way, I wish I could draw like that Smile

My own tree-inspired tattoo - I'd like to have it turned into a full-on sleeve but Mrs Treebeard says no...
Rough design for my new Bonsai themed tattoo 3459930779_157a030f77

Chris.
Treebeard
Treebeard

Back to top Go down

Rough design for my new Bonsai themed tattoo Empty Re: Rough design for my new Bonsai themed tattoo

Post  Harleyrider Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:22 pm

Ah, the Green Man, eh? Nice work. Who was the artist?

As for the leaves, they are supposed to give the impression that the tree is growing out of my skin, towards the viewer. We've (my tattooist mate and I) tried the tree with pine needles instead of leaves, and cherry blossom. I prefer the cherry blossom, but that drawing is somewhere in his studio. The pine needles looked ok, but when scaled down to 'my thigh size' the detail was lost.

I wish I could draw like that as well. Unfortunately, I'm just the ideas man!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:25 pm

Love it Steve, great future tattoo

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Treebeard Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:39 pm

OK, I see what you are aiming for with the leaves. Will look really good if that effect can be pulled off.

The artist for mine... don't know who did the original drawing, but David at Woody's Tattoo Studio in High Wycombe did the work.

Chris.
Treebeard
Treebeard

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:42 pm

Woody's has a good reputation, and deservedly so. I've never met him but I believe he's a good lad.

As for the 'emerging' effect of the tree, it's quite easy really. It's all in the shading and perspective.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:00 pm

Looks sharp, I'd go for the leaves.

I'd use leaves and needles, its harder to get the ink into the skin if you justuse leaves!

(Sorry, couldn't help meself!)

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down