Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stump update

5 posters

Go down

Stump update Empty Stump update

Post  matt addie Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:25 pm

Not wishing to miss out on the current "Stumpfest" we seem to be having at the moment, I thought I'd just update on a couple of stumps I lifted earlier this year.

These were the first "trees" I ever lifted from the ground - emergency rescues as a neighbour flattened his front garden to make way for a new driveway - and so far I'm really pleased with their recovery. Although, I'll be happier still if they make it through this winter. Both are around 25 years old, planted by my neighbour when he moved into the house. I've just let both stumps "grow wild" whilst they recover.

Cotoneaster - 14" (35cm) high, 6" (15cm) across at the base, main trunk 3" (7.5cm). The main trunk looks like 2 or 3 smaller trunks have fused together over the last quarter century and I think offers a major carving opportunity in the future to get some taper/definition.

When collected:
Stump update Img_0318

Today
Stump update Img_0610

Potentilla - 9" (23cm) high, 3.5" (9cm) across at the base, main trunk 2" (5cm).

When collected:
Stump update Img_0319

Today:
Stump update Img_0611

Close up of trunk - you can just make out a shari rising diagonally from bottom right. I'm reluctant to clean up the trunk any more until I'm sure the tree is well established.
Stump update Img_0612

Both of these stumps were opportunistic acquisitions - for once, I seemed to be in the right place at the right time! - and they may not be the best material, but I'm happy that they are still alive and hope to develop them if they continue to thrive.

As always, comments/suggestions welcome.

Matt (enthusiastic amateur!!) Very Happy
matt addie
matt addie

Back to top Go down

Stump update Empty Stump update

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:44 pm

Some more really good, material. I would love to find a really powerful Potentilla. Nice one Matt, thanks for posting.

Back to top Go down

Stump update Empty Re: Stump update

Post  matt addie Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks for the kind comments Will. You have some pretty impressive stumps youself Embarassed! (I saw them on another thread!).

The same neighbour has a similar - though less powerful - potentilla that WASN'T in the way of the new driveway. I've already declared my interest and no, I'm not telling you where I live or which neighbour, it's mine, mine I tell you!

If negotiations are successful, I hope to be able to post some pics next spring...
matt addie
matt addie

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:47 pm

Potentilla is an excellent species for bonsai. Doesn't like drying out though. The Cotoneaster stump is great too.

I got myself a really thick Potentilla from a redevelopment site last spring. So far I've split it into four as they often become multi-stemmed with greater age. I'll post it when I get it a bit further along.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:53 pm

WOW Matt... the Potentilla is superb. Is this the one you said I could have clown clown clown clown clown

Only joking jocolor

Well done... great material.. and the Cotoneaster stump is great too... lots to go at.

Just remind me... how long have you been 'doing' bonsai?

Note: not Stump fest... but Stumpstock. and if Lee has a handle on this Stumpgate!

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Warhurst Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Great trees Matt this is what Tony means when he talks(in another thread) about good starter material. Would love to get my hands on these.
Nice to see you at the expo.

Ian.

Ian Warhurst

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:40 pm

Niiice! The Potentilla stump especially is superb.

I know what you mean about hoping they survive their first winter, I'm the same with my Privet stumps. It's all very well watching them throw new growth out willy-nilly, but how will those tender young shoots cope with a northern frost?
Thankfully, the side of our house stays pretty much frost free........but there's always the shed.........or the spare room!

Good luck with these babies, Matt!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Stump update Empty Cool stumps

Post  Mike Pollock Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:47 am

As the self-assigned US commenter on this thread, I must say

"You are so lucky" to live in a place where gardening has been part of the culture for so long. Here in the US, most neighborhoods have the same few species that are ripped up every ten to twenty years or so. And we're lucky if a few of those plants are suitable for bonsai.

Both of these have real futures, but the potentilla had my spiderman-like "bonsai-sense" twitching.
Mike Pollock
Mike Pollock

Back to top Go down

Stump update Empty Grrrreat

Post  Gæst Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:36 am

Fantastic Potentilla. Very rare to find with such a trunk. The Cotoneaster also looks very promissing. Look forward to see those in future.

Regards
Morten

Gæst

Back to top Go down

Post  matt addie Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for all the nice comments - as my first "urban yamadori", I'll be much happier to get through this winter and see them (hope, cross fingers, make sacrificial offering, etc) burst into life next spring. Then I'll be sure they're getting well established. I'll be sure to keep you posted on future development next year.

If the worst comes to the worst, I'll get Tony to come round and harass my other neighbours into giving up their other garden treasures!! Very Happy
matt addie
matt addie

Back to top Go down

Post  matt addie Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:25 pm

Tony wrote:WOW Matt... the Potentilla is superb. Is this the one you said I could have clown clown clown clown clown

Only joking jocolor

Well done... great material.. and the Cotoneaster stump is great too... lots to go at.

Just remind me... how long have you been 'doing' bonsai?

Not long, but I have a very good teacher!! Very Happy
matt addie
matt addie

Back to top Go down

Post  matt addie Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:35 pm

Ian Warhurst wrote:...Would love to get my hands on these...

Ian.

With your carving skills, that wish may well come true! Very Happy

Good to see you the other day too - did you find a pot?

Cheers

Matt
matt addie
matt addie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:49 pm

matt addie wrote:Not long, but I have a very good teacher!! Very Happy
Flattery will get you EVERYWHERE when you have trees like these.. you are a shining example to all the 'beginners' on this forum...keep doin' what you are doin' bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down