Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bald cypress fungus?

+3
JimLewis
fiona
s.jones
7 posters

Go down

bald cypress fungus? Empty bald cypress fungus?

Post  s.jones Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:36 am

Hi Steve from Naples, I have a small bald cypress in a shallow bonsai pot which is root bound. My first question is the white fungus matter on the leaves and branches. I washes them off with water and they still returned white matter a few days later. Is this a result of being pot bound or something else? Also, since it is not the time of year to root prune, can I take it out of the existing pot and put it in a bigger pot with just potting mix for 3 months? What is this white stuff? I see it on local full grown trees in my area. Any suggestions?

s.jones

Back to top Go down

bald cypress fungus? Empty Re: bald cypress fungus?

Post  fiona Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:26 am

Moved to Bonsai pests etc.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:14 pm

I don't know of any fungus that attacks bald cypress (that'snot to say there isn't one). Can we have pictures -- close ups?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Probably mildew...

Do your tree sleep at night with wet leaves. Water in the mornings, instead of at night.

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

bald cypress fungus? Empty bald cypress fungus?

Post  s.jones Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks you are probably right. I moved the tree and it was not getting as much sun as before. What about repotting the root bound situation? Just keep it moist til February or can I repot now?

s.jones

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:00 pm

Unless the roots are pushing it out of the pot, I'd leave it be. They like jammed up roots.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  BillsBayou Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:34 pm

What you have are root mealy bugs. You need to drown the tree for an extended period. You can also use Ortho Dursban in the water.

BillsBayou

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:07 pm

BillsBayou wrote:What you have are root mealy bugs.  You need to drown the tree for an extended period.  You can also use Ortho Dursban in the water.

I would agree with you if the white stuff was on the soil, roots, or pot...but the OP says leaves and branches.  Root Aphids are a big problem in cypress and even keeping them flooded will not slow them down...it takes a chemical unfortunately.

Mr. Jones...could the white stuff perhaps be lichen growing?

As far as slip potting, it would be fine to do now, but as Jim suggests its probably not necessary.
John

Now I see this is an old post!

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:15 pm

Perhaps, it's calcium deposits from hard water? Pictures would certainly help.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  BillsBayou Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:44 pm

jgeanangel wrote:
BillsBayou wrote:What you have are root mealy bugs.  You need to drown the tree for an extended period.  You can also use Ortho Dursban in the water.

I would agree with you if the white stuff was on the soil, roots, or pot...but the OP says leaves and branches.  Root Aphids are a big problem in cypress and even keeping them flooded will not slow them down...it takes a chemical unfortunately.

Mr. Jones...could the white stuff perhaps be lichen growing?

As far as slip potting, it would be fine to do now, but as Jim suggests its probably not necessary.
John

Now I see this is an old post!

Curse my vision! I saw "rootbound" and white fungus, and my brain misfired.

BillsBayou

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down