Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curb Score Buxus

4 posters

Go down

Curb Score Buxus Empty Curb Score Buxus

Post  JADunnagan Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:15 pm

I found this boxwood on a curb on my way home from work yesterday.  I did a double take before turning around and ruining the carpet in the back of my Subaru.  It had been jerked out of the ground by equipment, effectively bare rooted.  Some major roots had been broken off but a surprising amount of fine roots remain.  I threw together a fast grow pot out of some scrap lumber and put in some well draining soil I had around, after adjusting the pH to around neutral.  I counted rings on a large section of root that was removed and got to around fifty before it wasn't possible to see any more.  Any suggestions on keeping it alive?  It looks to have been pruned recently and several of the branches seem dead, but it has new growth coming off of the trunk (also some fresh root growth).  Assuming it survives I hope to eventually trim it back to the trunk and the lower portion of the large branch and grow it into a formal upright.

Curb Score Buxus Img_2011

JADunnagan

Back to top Go down

Curb Score Buxus Empty Re: Curb Score Buxus

Post  JimLewis Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:03 pm

Boxwoods are pretty tough. I hope, though, that you left some green on each of the live branches and that you cut the roots smoothly so the ends aren't ragged from being ripped out. It will like part sun while it recoperates.

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JADunnagan Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Jim, thanks for the reply and the good advice. I actually haven't cut any of the branches.  It looks like it was pruned back rather hard a while ago and all the green you see is as much as I ever saw.  I did clean the roots up with concave cutters, but the areas where major roots were torn off are too large.  It also has some dead wood exposed where the trunk has been torn up.
Curb Score Buxus Img_2012
Anyone know if this needs any kind of treatment?  I'd like to have the live growth close back over this wound if possible, but at least keep the skeletal wood from rotting.

JADunnagan

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:18 pm

The first thing is to allow the plant to recover and establish in the grow box. Don't overwater. Best to leave for two seasons.

Partial sun, don't overwater and protect from freezing temps and (drying) winds this winter. Next year after it establishes and starts growing it can be fed lightly. Use organic fertilizer which will be gentle to the roots. You can buy Espoma "Plantone" at nurseries or Home Depot inexpensively.

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  Snoo Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:16 pm

JADunnagan wrote: I'd like to have the live growth close back over this wound if possible, but at least keep the skeletal wood from rotting.
Repair grafting?

Snoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down