How to coax Crassula argentea into bloom

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Confused...again.

Post  lennard on Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Andre Beaurain wrote:
Lennard my flowers every year, I have never had a problem.  Thats why I say, they need winter rain.  Lucky me.
Wat dink jy van die woord 'Beestebal'?
Lig en liefde
As soon as I think I am "unconfused" I become confused again.

Help me out with these ones:

1.  A seven year old cutting that has never flowered. It is about 60cm high. Waxy blue/grey/green leaves, red leaf margins and sharply pointed.
2.  Red, green, white yellow variegated form. Very fast grower and rounded leaf tip. 5 years old, 1m high clipped into a hedge. Never flowered.
3. White and green variegated form. Pointed leaf tip. The cutting to the back is the variegated form reverted back to a green variety. Leaf tips pointed. Very slow grower - never flowered.
4. The biggest and oldest(more than 40 years?) plant I have. It is about 1m high. Green leaves showing some red margin. No waxy leaf surface as with in no. 1.
5. Potted up in a plastic pot plant pot about 8 years ago and it is extremely root bound and goes through periods of flourishing and drying out - this one is flowering every year. Very red margin to the leave and not so sharply pointed.

Hope you can help me identify them correctly.

When it comes to "Beestebal", they do look like the things hanging down from a bull.

Lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Howto Coax Crassula

Post  bonsaisr on Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:24 pm

Some of those look more like Portulacaria. Are you sure they are all Crassulas?
Iris
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Re: How to coax Crassula argentea into bloom

Post  Rick36 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:31 pm

If you are confused, imagine how Tom and I feel in the USA and UK respectively! No.4 is the one most commonly seen in the UK as a houseplant and is certainly the one (50 year old) I have. I thought I knew it as Crassula Argentea - I bow to Iris' greater knowledge - and she says it is C.Ovata. As to the others I've seen a couple in this country as houseplants, but never as bonsai. My Portulacaria Afra babies don't look like any of these. I look forward to proper identification. Cheers to all participating.

Rick36

Back to top Go down

Crassula ID.

Post  lennard on Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:43 pm

bonsaisr wrote:Some of those look more like Portulacaria. Are you sure they are all Crassulas?
Iris
Yes. Portulacaria afra is easier to identify because the leaves are much smaller, the twigs in general are very dark reddish, they grow faster and the leaves have a more refreshing taste than those of Crassula...Crassula tastes like unripened peaches.

Portulacaria afra also has a few varieties within the species - I have managed to obtain 6 varieties now.

Lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  lennard on Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Rick36 wrote:If you are confused, imagine how Tom and I feel in the USA and UK respectively! No.4 is the one most commonly seen in the UK as a houseplant and is certainly the one (50 year old) I have. I thought I knew it as Crassula Argentea - I bow to Iris' greater knowledge - and she says it is C.Ovata.
Names change over the years and these are all synonyms for Crassula ovata:

Cotyledon lutea
Cotyledon ovata
Crassula argentea
Crassula articulata
Crassula nitida
Crassula obliqua
Crassula portulacea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crassula_ovata

Lennard

lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:52 am

lennard wrote:

Hope you can help me identify them correctly.

When it comes to "Beestebal", they do look like the things hanging down from a bull.

Lennard
Hi guys

1:  Crassula arborescens var. undulatifolia
2.  Crassula ovata 'Hummels sunset variegata'
3   Crassula ovata obliqua 'tricolour'
4   Crassula ovata
5   Crassula ovata 'Crossby's compact'

Love and light
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick36 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:09 am

Thanks for all the clarification, Andre and Lennard. Cheers.

Rick36

Back to top Go down

Post  lennard on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:37 pm

Rick36 wrote:Thanks for all the clarification, Andre and Lennard. Cheers.
Yes, thanks Andre.

Lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum