bottlebrush tree

View previous topic View next topic Go down

bottlebrush tree

Post  s.jones on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:49 pm

I live in Naples,Fl and bottlebrush trees are all over. I want bonsai one using a cutting of about an inch. Will a cutting that size grow roots?

s.jones

Back to top Go down

Re: bottlebrush tree

Post  Guest on Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:03 am

Bottlebrush (Callistemon) grow well from cuttings of young wood, not too sure how well you would go with timber of the size you want. If you have access to set an air layer they root quickly during warmer months, I did one last year from 2" wood & it was ready to cut off the parent tree in just 6wks!

Back to top Go down

Post  Xavier de Lapeyre on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:59 am

I second what MAttA said, an airlayer would be the best way to go.

If you really don't have any other choice but to go through a cutting, then prepare all your stuffs well before hand [ moss or cutting medium, water, shade/greenhouse etc ,whatever you think you might need in your case ] and do the cut/transplant as quickly as possible. Don't let the cut go dry and cross your fingers.

Don't go for a branch with too many young shoots for the cutting, they will wither rapidly and reduce your chances of a successful rooting.
Also don't keep/leave too many foliage on the cutting, keep enough to encourage the tree to produce new growth.

I would still recommend the airlayer for better success rates.
Good luck

Xavier de Lapeyre

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:56 pm

They're pretty cheap in nurseries you could probably find a 5 gallon sized one for around $20 or so then you'd have something to work with without waiting for roots and branches to grow.

Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:04 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum