Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ficus benjamina trunk discolouration and fungus?

2 posters

Go down

Ficus benjamina trunk discolouration and fungus? Empty Ficus benjamina trunk discolouration and fungus?

Post  EpicusMaximus Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:57 am

This is a benjamina I cut back about one year ago. I didn't do anything to it except repot it this summer.

Unfortunately it never backbudded where I made the cut. It was outside all summer.

As you can see in the second pic (not as visible as in person), there seems to be a discolouration on my trunk. From the top to about where the branches are growing the trunk has gotten much more pale than the bottom of the tree, and the area where I made the cut now has black spotting (this was not there until I put it out this summer). Is it fungus? Could my trunk be dead from the branches up?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ficus benjamina trunk discolouration and fungus? Image10

Ficus benjamina trunk discolouration and fungus? Image11

Ficus benjamina trunk discolouration and fungus? Image12

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Ficus benjamina trunk discolouration and fungus? Empty Ficus benjamina trunk discolouration and fungus?

Post  ortizdhs Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:12 am

That discoloration is dead wood. You need to cut and llet the tree seal the wound. No sealant needed there as they heal pretty well on their own. Benjaminas are know for not backbudding much as the Tiger bark. If it was my tree I will select one of the 2 branches left and will work with that. That way you can avoid a reverse taper there.

ortizdhs

Back to top Go down

Ficus benjamina trunk discolouration and fungus? Empty Re: Ficus benjamina trunk discolouration and fungus?

Post  EpicusMaximus Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:21 am

Do you think it's dead down to the branches?

What can I do differently when cutting it this time so that it heals properly?

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  ortizdhs Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:44 am

Branches seem healthy, they are that color when new. You need to do the cut on an angle if possible. At this point, just cut and the tree will create a "lip" aroung the cut when it starts to seal. I will work with the left side of the tree and will eliminate the rest. There you will have your angle for the cut so water won't stay there. You should get a nice shohin there with time.

ortizdhs

Back to top Go down

Ficus benjamina trunk discolouration and fungus? Empty Re: Ficus benjamina trunk discolouration and fungus?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down