Exo Terra fir bark (bark for reptiles)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Exo Terra fir bark (bark for reptiles)

Post  EpicusMaximus on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:08 pm

I saw these bags of natural fir bark in several pet stores and was pleased with the size of the chips. I think only a minor sifting job would be required.

Anybody used this for their trees? To me it beats sifting a 50 litre bag of pine bark mulch...

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/forest_bark.php

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Re: Exo Terra fir bark (bark for reptiles)

Post  Ryan on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:22 pm

Is the stuff composted? Seems to me it wouldn't be all too helpful if it isn't composted.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  EpicusMaximus on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:00 am

I know nothing about it except the information on the site and on the packaging.

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:17 am

EpicusMaximus wrote:I know nothing about it except the information on the site and on the packaging.
I'd say it's useless.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashiod on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:47 am

Not sure if this will help or not, but I've been keeping reptiles for over fifteen years and refuse to use that stuff in my terrariums.  It absorbs a ton of moisture, decays quickly, and is prone to growing mold.  I would imagine the absorptive properties could be nice in bonsai soil, but the fact that it decays so quickly and is a mold and mildew hotbed would be a turnoff for me. Exoterra generally makes pretty decent products, but this is one I try to avoid.

edit: If memory serves, it's just straight crushed/chipped pine bark. It could be dangerous for reptiles if it were composted beforehand and not properly treated afterward.

Ashiod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:51 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum