Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let me hear it through the grapevine

5 posters

Go down

Let me hear it through the grapevine Empty Let me hear it through the grapevine

Post  fiona Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:17 pm

On my recent travel dahn sarf to the land of monkeys - Messrs Stone and Bonsai - I was introduced to the rather splendid Peter Curd who managed to get money out of this Scot in exchange for these two grapevines. I have a few thoughts of my own (it happens occasionally!) but I would welcome other people's suggestions for progressing them. Any general care advice is also welcome. Having had some success with growing grapes up here I know hardiness will be an issue. It is my plan to keep them in a bubble-wrap insulated but otherwise unheated glasshouse pretty much from mid-October through to late Spring. Although it's not unheard of, we seldom dip below about -6C here, and over the last few winters I'd say we've only had about 8 or 10 frosty nights, precious few of them consecutive. We have little or no snow. Anyway, here they are - they are both about 10-12" height:

Let me hear it through the grapevine Vine_110

I think it's crying out for a semi-cascade.
Let me hear it through the grapevine Vine_111

or perhaps even more of a "hing"
Let me hear it through the grapevine Vine_112

I'll carve out the branch scars as well to add a bit of interest to the trunks.

But what about this one?
Let me hear it through the grapevine Vine_210

I personally think this is a better front as the nebari is better from this side. (NB it is at an angle for no other reason than my complete inability to take a straight photo)
Let me hear it through the grapevine Vine_211

Nebari from this side
Let me hear it through the grapevine Vine_212

Any suggestions?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Let me hear it through the grapevine Empty Re: Let me hear it through the grapevine

Post  bobby little Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:53 pm

give em to me.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Let me hear it through the grapevine Empty Re: Let me hear it through the grapevine

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:12 pm

They should survive your winter fine. My Grandfather's vine survived for about 50 years in an unheated glasshouse here and that included one winter in the 1960's when there was about 10 feet of snow and several other very harsh and frosty winters. Much colder than we get regularly now.

Mmm, semi-cacscade grape. Wouldn't it fall over if it ever fruited?
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:22 pm

If anyone is likely to be falling over after the fruit has appeared and been subsequently processed, my vote goes to Fiona!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:50 pm

They look quite promising Fiona. I had a couple of cuttings from a Don Ziemann from California several years ago. I believe it was a Zinfandel. Started out as just small stumps with no roots or branches...unfortunately the one that seemingly did the best, pictured below, died a couple of years ago...I'll blame it on the winter but I really don't know for sure.
Equally unfortunately, Don's website is down and I can't find another for him...he did have some good care tips on his site. He was an infrequent visitor to the old IBC.
Let me hear it through the grapevine Grape811
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:57 pm

Do I remember that picture from the old site - it looks familiar? It's also pretty much what I have in mind for the first one of mine. They are actually quite similar in shape when you look at them.

Don't know if I'll be able to get mine to hover in mid-air like yours though! Wink

Still looking for suggestions for the second one, you guys out there.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:07 am

Don't know if I'll be able to get mine to hover in mid-air like yours though!

You'd be surprised what can be done with a bit of black velvet! Cool
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:09 am

Move over Harry Potter, the Mighty Quinn has arrived at Hogwarts.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down