Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help finding Pinus balfouriana and P. longaeva please?

2 posters

Go down

Help finding Pinus balfouriana and P. longaeva please? Empty Help finding Pinus balfouriana and P. longaeva please?

Post  Potawatomi13 Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:19 am

I have recently learned that there are 3 types of Bristlecone pines and would like to find a retail nursery or other source to get the 2 trees I don't have to work on.

Can anyone direct me to a nursery source for Pinus longaeva and Pinus balfouriana? I have had a P.aristata for about 19 years and would like to add these two others. So far all I've found on the internet is seeds so I know someone MUST have the trees as well.

If you know could you please send a PM as well as post?

Potawatomi13

Back to top Go down

Help finding Pinus balfouriana and P. longaeva please? Empty Re: Help finding Pinus balfouriana and P. longaeva please?

Post  Leo Schordje Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:47 pm

You might have trouble finding them, as the species longaeva and balfouriana were not recognized as being different from aristata until recently. They may be in the nursery trade, but are likely listed under either aristata, or under the name of one of the other 5 needle pines.

For example P. longaeva 'Sherwoods Compact' was originally listed as either a dwarf aristata 'Sherwood's Compact' or a dwarf flexilis or a dwarf strobiliformis. I have found it listed as longaeva in only one catalog and they are currently sold out.

You may have to scour the internet. Take a good look at any listing for aristata, and if they don't mention the resin deposits on the needles, you might be looking at longaeva or balfouriana. Use the origin or source info to help figure out which of the three you are really looking at, their native ranges can help separate the species.

Taxonomy changes, and the nursery trade simply doesn't keep up, and / or does not find it economically viable to drop a name that is well known to replace it with a name that leaves 80% of the customers saying "Uh?"
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Help finding Pinus balfouriana and P. longaeva please? Empty Help!

Post  Potawatomi13 Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Thank you Leo.Cool  I've been scouring the Inet for a couple weeks now and have actually found a nursery out of Portland that lists both of them but havn't been able to contact them yet and the balfouriana may be an oversized and expensive tree and not suitable. Nevertheless they MUST get their trees from someone and if I can get that or do a little wheedling and begging maybe they will help me. If I HAVE to I have seen seed sources but would rather start out with at least a 3-5 year old tree. Monday's a big day this week as there's several things I really have to get done including this one.

Potawatomi13

Back to top Go down

Help finding Pinus balfouriana and P. longaeva please? Empty Re: Help finding Pinus balfouriana and P. longaeva please?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down