Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

turniquets and trunk chop on same plant

2 posters

Go down

turniquets and trunk chop on same plant Empty turniquets and trunk chop on same plant

Post  Snoo Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi all,
since im starting i thought that for the next season i might build some experience from nursery plants and, while in one of the "bigbox" stores, i got a japanese maple "bloodgood" and a crabapple "royalty" on sale (10$ for both of them... might as well try) The maple will get a couple of airlayers to get two on their own roots plus the rootstock.
It has been pointed out to me that trying to get several plants out of one is a beginner mistake because the stuff obtained wont give good bonsais but i see it as a way like another to have plants to learn on for the moment.
My question concerns the crabapple, cant post pics now so: its about 10ft, the graft its not noticeable, no big bump or anything, there are a few suckers both from above and from below the graft,  half way on the trunk theres a knob where the first branches were in a clump, they are all broken off and the only one remained is in good condition but continuing up the trunk the next branching area its quite bare, a few old leaves an several new shoots here and there.
My plan was:
1) to try a turniquet a 2 or 3 cm below the knob of the first branching so that i can use the only one branch remaining in there as leader, the portion of trunk above this will just go, and let the swelling from the turniquet even out the knob were the branches were so that i dont end with inverse taper.
2) chop the trunk low and develop movement and taper taking advantage of the "royalty" buds already started
3) i havent exposed all the roots but from what i have been able to see the whole seem well developed there are good sized roots all around in two circles one close to the surface and one buried much lower, one of the rootstock suckers is coming from a spot lower than the first circle of roots and was wondering if a turniquet there would work in developing more the roots close to the top permitting me to separate the rootstock in two, one lower part with that sucker growing while the rest of the roots remain with the trunk that was chopped.
Im not sure in which order to go with it.... for example: should the turniquet at the roots be applied after the airlayer is taken off and the trunk chopped down or can i apply all the turniquets in one moment and let things grow for one season and chop everything at the same time? Would applying the turniquet at the roots slow down the forming of the airlayer?

Snoo

Back to top Go down

turniquets and trunk chop on same plant Empty Re: turniquets and trunk chop on same plant

Post  0soyoung Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:00 pm

I does pay to have some idea of how trees work.

A basic fact is that the photosynthates and auxins come down the tree in the phloem, from the foliage toward the roots. The girdle of an air-layer interrupts the phloem, so all these things stack up at the top of the girdle. What is below is fed/stimulated only by whatever foliage exists below the girdle. A tourniquet accomplished the same by squeezing off the phloem, using cambial growth expansion of the trunk/stem/branch to accomplish this end.

Think it through and you can answer your question yourself.
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

turniquets and trunk chop on same plant Empty Re: turniquets and trunk chop on same plant

Post  Snoo Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:49 pm

thanks

Snoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down