Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What kind of wood?

4 posters

Go down

What kind of wood? Empty What kind of wood?

Post  Guest Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Hi All

I am working on a daiza theese days, and Wonder if anybody know what kind of hardwood it is...It does a kind of remind me of balsawood...the pale collor and the soft surface without grain, exept from what you see, and then is it very hard...I have teak, it does not feel and look the same.
What kind of wood? Img_3316

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

What kind of wood? Empty Re: What kind of wood?

Post  0soyoung Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Looks like mahogany to me.
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:21 pm

I was going to suggest that, but blonde mahogany is new to me.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi thanks to you both Smile 

A friend just told me it could be "Meranti"...I googled it, and I am sure it is this kind of Wood, the collor and grain is the same.

Very nice to work with, by the way....

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:16 pm

A very interesting wood from a Genus I'd never heard of.  Thanks for the education.  On an amusing side note, one of the Googled sites noted: "The wood is similar in color and grain to Mahogany."

Very attractive daiza, by the way.  Are you going to stain it?

Last edited by JimLewis on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:32 am

Hi Jim

Yes, the daiza is already stained...I found it was not easy to polish the Wood, it was nice to work with, but polish was not easy...I guess it it is not so hard as the mahogany, and other kinds of wood I prefer to work with...show the new suiseki later.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  suiseki133 Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:46 pm

looks a little like Tasmanian Oak to me

suiseki133

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:48 am

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Jim

Yes, the daiza is already stained...I found it was not easy to polish the Wood, it was nice to work with, but polish was not easy...I guess it it is not so hard as the mahogany, and other kinds of wood I prefer to work with...show the new suiseki later.

Kind regards Yvonne
Nice work Yvonne, I can't wait to see it with the suiseki on.

Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  suiseki133 Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Jim

Kind regards Yvonne
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but i was wondering whether you'd ever tried using katalox for a daiza? it comes in some really dark shades and takes a sanded finish like glass, the one potential drawback to it is that its quite hard at 3660 on the janka hardness scale

suiseki133

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:37 pm

I have not tried katalox...never heard about it until this reply...I found out the Wood in this topic was meranti, othervise do I not really know what kind of old hardwood I was given by a friend.
I will be interested in all kinds of hard Wood with a quiet surface for my daizas....later when I have run out of the Wood, will I go searching...two days ago I found out there was a hardwood"shop" not that far from were I live. Will visit the the place together with a friend soon...good to know what they can offer.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down