Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any ideas for the "S" shape junipers?

+4
Orion
fiona
JimLewis
Neil Jaeger
8 posters

Go down

Any ideas for the "S" shape junipers? Empty Any ideas for the "S" shape junipers?

Post  Neil Jaeger Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:58 pm

I did this shimpaku juniper in a workshop 2 years ago and only did basic wiring and got it out of a nursery pot. Last year all that was done was some light trimming of the growth that was straight up and down. If you cant tell, the tree goes right branch, then left with 2 back branches then left branch then 2 more back branches then the top. Any ideas welcome.

Im sorry I cannot figure out how to rotate pictures.

Front
Any ideas for the "S" shape junipers? Junjpg10

Back
Any ideas for the "S" shape junipers? Tree110

Any ideas for the "S" shape junipers? Dscf2512
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Any ideas for the "S" shape junipers? Empty Re: Any ideas for the "S" shape junipers?

Post  JimLewis Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:31 pm

I turned the first one for you. Hope that helps.

If you are using one of those &^%$ phone cameras it depends on how you hold it.  I don't (and won't) use one so I can't go beyond that, but take some pics with the camera in "landscape" and in both "portrait" positions until you figure it out.  (Better yet, buy a camera and use the accompanying software to edit and crop your photos.)

You might have two trees here.  It's really too tall for the gith of the trunk and you might do better air layering in between bends and trying to get two trees.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Any ideas for the "S" shape junipers? Empty Re: Any ideas for the "S" shape junipers?

Post  fiona Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:23 pm

And I've rotated your second pic.   Just out of interest how did you upload these?  Did you do it direct from your phone or did you upload them to your computer first?

Cheers
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:58 pm

fiona wrote:And I've rotated your second pic.   Just out of interest how did you upload these?  Did you do it direct from your phone or did you upload them to your computer first?

Cheers
The pictures were taken from a camera that I just got so I am not to good with it yet. I then up loaded them to computer then used "host an image" browsed for pic hosted it, copied it, pasted it. I haven't posted a pic since the "change" but this used to work. Thank you guys for the help.

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Noticed 1 thing in particular. In your first pic. that 1st branch to the L, it may be the way I'm seeing it, but it looks as fat as the trunk. I don't think you'd want that. Just my perspective, but I would want to take it off.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:52 pm

I thought so at first, but if you look it is just a shadow.
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:19 pm

The pictures were taken from a camera that I just got so I am not to good with it yet. I then up loaded them to computer then used "host an image" browsed for pic hosted it, copied it, pasted it. I haven't posted a pic since the "change" but this used to work. Thank you guys for the help.
That's good news. I assume you have some sort of photo editing or "paint" software. Somewhere in the gazillions of menus these programs have is an option to "Rotate" your picture. You usually have the options to rotate 45 degrees clockwise and 45 degrees counterclockwise and 180 degrees. Once you have found that it is simple and quick.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:42 am

Its funny Jim i did rotate the photos and still came out that way. You are right tho it's the ones i took vertical not landscape that were sideways. I never had to worry about this tho before the update to the tools. Oh and it is just a shadow the branches are in pretty good scale. It would almost make a small 7 tree forest if i laid it on its side.
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:06 am

Would you consider compressing it into a more elaborate series of bends?
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:05 am

Im not quite sure what you mean. Also im not to sure how much this tree can take its getting close to an inch wide.

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Just the idea of accentuating the existing curves. They can take some serious bends without a doubt and you'd need to wrap it with raffia or something similar.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:33 pm

Neil Jaeger wrote:I did this shimpaku juniper in a workshop 2 years ago and only did basic wiring and got it out of a nursery pot. Last year all that was done was some light trimming of the growth that was straight up and down. If you cant tell, the tree goes right branch, then left with 2 back branches then left branch then 2 more back branches then the top. Any ideas welcome. [/url]
Pull the top down and build a crown out of it to help hide some of the bend or chop off what you don't like.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:37 pm

These S curve Chinese imports are a challenge for all of us. Wrapping with wet raffia and the using wire and clamps to compress the curves might help, as would cutting/airlayering above the first branch and leaning to make a semicascade.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Thank you so much for you replies. Something major is in the future for this tree an i will post for sure.

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulH Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:17 am

I agree that the best option is to wrap with raffia and compress the bends so that it is about 30% of the present height.
PaulH
PaulH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down