Confused about where to buy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Confused about where to buy

Post  Ofarrellbonsai on Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:16 pm

I have read the article here:
http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t10123-getting-started-in-bonsai-beginners-faqs

and also checked out the American Bonsai webisite.

I went to garden.org and found my zone type and it gave me a selection of trees that would grow in my zone. There were a lot of trees but with the ABS not showing any clubs in my area I am left wondering if I should go to a nursery and try a tree on the list given me by the garden.org or do I risk buying something online that has already been started in a pot for me?

Are there any dealers online that people have had good luck with? or would it be better to try from seed? I have to admit that trying from seed really scares me because the weather in my area is fairly extreme and I would be worried about starting the planting this time of year that it will not be ready for winter.

I have thought about buying something from amazon, the typical mass grown..comes in a little blue bowl...you have described it as a word starting with an "M"..I do not recall the word at the moment but I have also read that those trees can arrive at your door already dying.
This leaves me confused about where to start the buying process.
Any advice appreciate.

Br,

Ofarrellbonsai

Back to top Go down

Re: Confused about where to buy

Post  JimLewis on Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:24 pm

First: Run your virus checker and spyware checker. The ABS site is contaminated. I'm told they are working on it, but as of yesterday I got a warning when I tried to log in . . .

Second, if we knew WHERE in the United States you live we could help better; perhaps you could amend your profile to be a bit more specific.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ofarrellbonsai on Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Thank you for the information on the ABS site and I'll work on my profile. I live in central California in the United States so I get 100F in the summer and 30F in the winter.

I hope this can help?

Ofarrellbonsai

Back to top Go down

Confused about Where to Buy

Post  bonsaisr on Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:00 pm

So you are apparently in USDA Zone 9. No, don't buy mallsai from Amazon. Forget about seeds for now. You can start with Evergreen Gardenworks. I don't have the URL handy, but you can find him online. He is in northern California. If it's not too far, pay him a visit. Unless you have some other preference, try a Chinese elm or some kind of juniper. Unless you can find a Chinese elm of a substantial size (like one inch caliper), grow it in the ground for a year or two. Take out some books from the library, and get a juniper from a garden center to practice on. Brent Walston of Evergreen Gardenworks can probably help you find the nearest bonsai club.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:45 pm

www.evergreengardenworks.com

Perfect location for you.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin on Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:56 pm

I have had very good business with Dallas Bonsai Gardens. They have some very nice juniper at very reasonable prices. I only buy pre-bonsai stock on-line, so I'm looking for trees I can grow on myself. For conifer stock I go to Jonsteen.com. They're north of Frisco in McKinnleyville, Ca. They specialize in Redwoods of all types, but also produce many pines and other conifers. Excellent stock!

Last, but certainly not least, my all time favorite tree store right here in SW Oregon, the now world renowned, ForestFarm.com. Hit their catalog and be prepared to spend some time. You'll find trees from all over the world, rare and unusual are Rays specialty. Hundreds of Japanese Maple varieties. True that they are grafts, but there are ways to deal with that after you have grown the trees for some time. It's a fascinating place and I feel very blessed to have such a facility only twenty miles away. I'd give it a triple A with wings rating!

I have yet to do any business with Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks, but I've heard wonderful tales, both here and other sites. Happy shopping, Rick

RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:43 pm

There are clubs in Fresno and Hanford plus a bunch in the Sac. and Bay areas. There are to many nurseries bonsai and not to have to buy from Amazon.
Where in Central CA?

Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  David D on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:02 am

I agree with Iris's comment, read. I too would suggest reading as much as you can from respected sources, lists of books can be found in a search on this forum. You may also(after a lot of reading) try to collect local materials, they can be found in fence rows, construction sites, even behind garages, AND they grow in your zone. Always ask for permission and level the site. You can learn to grow and care for trees in containers with virtually no investment.

David D

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:30 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum