Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air Layer JM Katsura.

2 posters

Go down

Air Layer JM Katsura. Empty Air Layer JM Katsura.

Post  fredman1 Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:27 am

I did a layering on a Katsura today. I haven't got any air layering excperience. This is my first. I have read up extensively and did a good layer I think...
Just wondering how strong they are on their roots.
Does anybody have any experience with it? How long more or less does Maples take to root?
Its the beginning of Spring here in NZ. The tree is in leaf already....

fredman1

Back to top Go down

Air Layer JM Katsura. Empty Re: Air Layer JM Katsura.

Post  papymandarin Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:58 am

This variety is ok on its own roots, actually the 2 i bought in regular garden centers were not even grafted, cuttings and ground/air layer can be done with no problems compared to other "delicate" varieties, and here it grows continuously from bud break till fall without making a pause if well cultivated. in short regarding roots i see no difference with the basic JM. (and colours are nice, leaves and internodes easily small on a vigorous tree growing well, so i consider it an excellent variety for bonsai!)

papymandarin

Back to top Go down

Post  papymandarin Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:09 am

another good point of this variety is that it is rather resistant to sun compared to similarly coloured varieties (orange dream for instance), however summer hard sun can burn newly formed leaves (so it can stay in full sun all year except the hotter months).
Regarding the time necessary for the layer to root it can be very variable (depends on how you did it, on environmental conditions, on tree vigour, on the amount of foliage and growing shoots above and below the layer, advice=let shoots grow freely above the layer but control the growth below), from one month to six but usually with maples i'm able to separate the layer within the same year, at the end of summer.beginnning of fall so the layer can harden before cold arrives

papymandarin

Back to top Go down

Post  fredman1 Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:50 am

papymandarin. Thanks for the response. That is good news and exactly what I was looking for. Luckily the tree has a lot of foliage above and not much below. I started early and will hopefully have it off come autumn. The top has some lovely character and will make a good bonsai.
Thanks Again
Freddie Very Happy

fredman1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down