Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

leaf discoloration on a larch

5 posters

Go down

leaf discoloration on a larch Empty leaf discoloration on a larch

Post  GašperG Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi everyone!

Here is a photo of dead larch leaves that have more or less the same discoloration pattern. Mostly yellowing from inside out, some have small rust-like dots/areas.
This occurred just recently. Tree did not show any signs of weeknes all spring and summer and it was hot as hell. At some point it got slightly burned by the sun and that is the area that is now full of leaves like that (but only individual leaves). Probably just a coincidence because they look sick not burned to me. I did not see any kind of pests. Roots should be fine.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

leaf discoloration on a larch Dscn2310

I would really appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Gašper
GašperG
GašperG

Back to top Go down

leaf discoloration on a larch Empty Re: leaf discoloration on a larch

Post  arihato Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:06 pm

My thought is that is the onset of autumn, after a hot and dry summer (at least here) the older leaves are tired. Some of my trees have the beginning of yellowing others that grew in more shade are still green.
I would spray preventative when all the needles have dropped, with either Lime sulphur (1 part in 30 water) against fungi and pests. Just to make sure it is not fungal.
arihato
arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  LSBonsai Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:13 pm

I agree with arihato, it is probably just stress. Larch needles are quite delicate and typically come out of summer with some damage. However it would help to see the whole tree so we can visualize how the damage is distrubuted. This could be a clue.

LSBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:17 pm

I wouldn't call it stress. Just old age.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  GašperG Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:12 am

arihato wrote:My thought is that is the onset of autumn, after a hot and dry summer (at least here) the older leaves are tired.
That is just what i was thinking but got me worried, because it all started earlier and so suddenly, not the way it went last year. Well, I did move the benches this spring so i should expect some kind of change.

Thank you for all your replys.
GašperG
GašperG

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:01 pm

I grow a lot of larch here in America. Each tree reacts differently to various factors. Look at the branches and the buds that are left behind. They should look full and be flexible. The buds should look swelled as well. If so, not to worry.

If they are drying out, seem shriveled or brittle, you have problems. Otherwise they should be fine and look forward to next spring and beautiful new growth.

I've also found that with most larch that if you continually pinch then they will grow throughout the entire season, even with needle loss due to heat stress.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  GašperG Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:09 am

Twisted Trees wrote:They should look full and be flexible.  The buds should look swelled as well.
Branches and buds appear as you described.

Yellowing stopped (for now) so must have been the leaves damaged by the sun.
Looking forward to a nice golden color.  

Thanks!
GašperG
GašperG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down