Air layering cedar

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Air layering cedar

Post  Bob Pressler on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Does any one have any success at airlayering Atlas Cedars? If yes any suggestions to help insure success?
Also does anyone have experience with them from cuttings?
Thanks.

Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Air Layering Cedars

Post  bonsaisr on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:05 pm

Google on it. There is a ton of information, including old threads on IBC.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Re: Air layering cedar

Post  Bob Pressler on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:22 pm

I tried google- most of what is on there is useless. I'm hoping to find someone with personal experience.

Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Carrack on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:55 pm

I couldn't find much on airlayering them either. There's a lovely big one growing in my parents garden, which I'd love to air layer and mimic. I live in the south of the UK.

Jack Carrack

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:56 pm

Would it harm anything if you try first on unimportant brunch if it root [airlayer] before you do real one? Might give you answer in few weeks?

yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:28 am

A good guide to how successfull air layering Cedrus atlantica might be to look at the educational institutions information on rooting cuttings. The UC Davis rooting database indicates that November cuttings in sand and peat with no hormone treatment resulted in a 30% success rate. Michael Dirr references show a 20% success rate with Nov cuttings with a 3-4% IBA solution. There are also reports that Cedrus atlantica and lebanii often will root with a single root which often dies after planting out. That being said, there is a very very low possibility of air layering at best. I might add here that Cedrus deodara roots readily with ease with a rooting percentage of 60-90%.

R

Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:41 am

Randy_Davis wrote:A good guide to how successfull air layering Cedrus atlantica might be to look at the educational institutions information on rooting cuttings.  The UC Davis rooting database indicates that November cuttings in sand and peat with no hormone treatment resulted in a 30% success rate.  Michael Dirr references show a 20% success rate with Nov cuttings with a 3-4% IBA solution.  There are also reports that Cedrus atlantica and lebanii often will root with a single root which often dies after planting out.  That being said, there is a very very low possibility of air layering at best.  I might add here that Cedrus deodara roots readily with ease with a rooting percentage of 60-90%.

R
Thanks Randy. I kind of thought it would be difficult at best.

Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:43 am

yamasuri wrote:Would it harm anything if you try first on unimportant brunch if it root [airlayer] before you do real one? Might give you answer in few weeks?
It would definitely take more then a few weeks to tell anything, but thanks for the suggestion.

Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:50 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum