Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need advice to correct reversed trunk base

5 posters

Go down

Need advice to correct reversed trunk base Empty Need advice to correct reversed trunk base

Post  yamasuri Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:08 pm

Yesterday I bought nice Pinus Sylvestris "Beacon Hill" This tree was sitting in nursery for few month so I was waiting for Autumn discount. However there is slight revers taper of trunk at the base [rootstock not as strong/vigorous as scion]. My question is if I can "turnicket" trunk at point of graft to produce new roots. Is it gonna root? Or try to split trunk base to let tree heal the wound and base become more thicker and balanced.  Any suggestion and experience strongly welcome. Thanks.

Need advice to correct reversed trunk base Img_0011

Need advice to correct reversed trunk base Img_0012

Need advice to correct reversed trunk base Img_0014
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Need advice to correct reversed trunk base Empty Re: Need advice to correct reversed trunk base

Post  Twisted Trees Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:18 pm

My ques would be that it will not grow new roots from a tourniquet. There is the possibility of piercing the trunk with a large needle (I actually use the pointy end of my scissors, the other end didn't work well scratch ). The best thing is to get better material to start with.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Need advice to correct reversed trunk base Empty Re: Need advice to correct reversed trunk base

Post  0soyoung Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:41 pm

Twisted Trees wrote:My ques would be that it will not grow new roots from a tourniquet.
Even so, a tourniquet placed at the ground level would cause swelling above it and could eliminate the inverse taper. The potential problem, however, is that the tourniquet will be starving the roots, so it will have to be removed after a season or at most two, to keep the present roots alive. The treatment could be repeated after the health of the roots is re-established, if necessary. The site of the stricture would be most distracting if visible and so would need to be hidden, just below the soil level.

Meanwhile (or alternatively) a tourniquet could be applied to a branch to test whether it will make roots by tourniquet air-layering and observe how long it takes, rather than risking the whole tree straight away.
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:50 am

Thanks a lot for reply. I like your suggestion Osoyoung to try tourniquet on one brunch first. Not sure really what you mean Twisted trees by piercing the trunk with large needle. Maybe with pliers/cutter split and put wedge to hold in open?
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  dre Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:19 am

dre

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:31 am

Dre thanks but definitely I wouldn't try that. At least not using chain saw this way!! Besides that my size of trunk is about 3x to 4x smaller than in Sandev's video.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  dre Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:24 pm

yamasuri wrote:Dre thanks but definitely I wouldn't try that. At least not using chain saw this way!! Besides that my size of trunk is about 3x to 4x  smaller than in Sandev's video.
Ya I would be worry about doing something like that to a tree but at least id I was going to try that to see for myself how it turns out I would use a tree like the one you got off the discounted bench at a nursery or you can just add Shari so you can carve and correct the reverse taper that way

dre

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:47 pm

yamasuri wrote:Not sure really what you mean Twisted trees by piercing the trunk with large needle. Maybe with pliers/cutter split and put wedge to hold in open?  
No, just poking a number of holes in the trunk causes it to swell. There is no need to remove bark or further slice or hold open the trunk.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  arihato Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:03 pm

I would not advocate a tourniquet it will leave a circular scar at you Nebari which will take years to grow out.

With a round (ball) hammer, gently tap at the thin spot in order to bruise the inner bark and cambium. Only do 1/4 of the trunk circumference. Let it heal for 6 month then do the opposite side of the trunk. Repeat till the whole trunk is done, let the tree recover for a season. Repeat if needed. This will not leave any scars or ugly local swelling and above all it works. Just be careful and don't go bashing the living daylight out of the trunk........
arihato
arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:56 pm

Thanks a lot to all for ideas. Now is clear what you meant with needle pinching Twisted Trees. Arihato I have feeling your technik is gonna win. As tourniquet I mention and intend to develop new roots and eliminate thinner part of trunk.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:24 pm

yamasuri wrote:Thanks a lot to all for ideas. Now is clear what you meant with needle pinching Twisted Trees. Arihato I have feeling your technik is gonna win.  
It works for Kimura.  I first read it in one of his books.

You only show the reverse taper from one angle. It it reverse from all angles or it it caused by two opposing major roots at the base. If this is the case me thinks that thickening is hopeless.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:06 am

Thanks for reply TT. I didn't know is one of Mr. Kimura's technique. I didn't check the roots completely yet...that will wait till next year repoting. However the rootstock is definitely thinner/weaker than the trunk above. Now I have few suggestion how to thicken/balance trunk taper. I'll update thread when any progress.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down