Possible change for boxwood

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Possible change for boxwood

Post  Tom Simonyi on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:03 pm

The stone is native sandstone.  The area on which the pot is sitting was carved out and drainage holes were cut into the bottom of the stone.  I have had other trees on the stone over the years and was thinking now about positioning this kingsville on the rock.  I would appreciate others input.  Thanks in advance.    Tom

Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Re: Possible change for boxwood

Post  DougB on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:34 pm

Tom I generally have a great imagination, but am having trouble visualizing this. Pictures would help this tired old mind.

DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:49 pm

Sorry, Doug....but I am not good at using virtual software. Good hearing from you.
Tom

Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:07 pm

Does the tree go into the depression in the front of the rock? Or right under where it's sitting currently?
To me, the stone looks a bit large for the composition with this tree. But it's pretty hard to visualize, maybe it'd be cool.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi, Judy....the tree would be planted in a carved cavity in the rock directly below where it currently is placed....and yes,I tend to agree that the stone may be a bit large for the tree at its current stage of growth. Thanks for your input.

Tom

Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi Tom,

Is this what you're thinking?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Thanks so much, Ryan....yes, that is what I had in mind.

Regards,
Tom

Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:15 pm

I think that's a bit too much stone for that tree -- even if it were allowed to grow -- a lot.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:18 pm

Yes, I am inclined to agree, Jim, after seeing the virtual and studying it further. Good hearing from you, and I really like your azalea btw...
Tom

Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick36 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Tom - I think it might work well. However, I would suggest moving the tree to the left somewhat, at least so that it doesn't look in the centre of the stone. Just mho - doubtless you'll get others. Cheers.
P.S. Jun would be a good ideas man on this.

Last edited by Rick36 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added p.s.)

Rick36

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:41 pm

Perhaps....

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:11 pm

I like that Ryan...what about rotating the stone clockwise 90 degrees ...

Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Tom,

Having grown many boxwoods, the one thing I've learned is to plant deep with no exposed roots.  The stone has interesting potential if it can be hollowed enough.    They also like cool roots which worries me about the stone but as long as the plant has shade for most of the day it should be OK.    

Good luck and please show us the results.

Norma

Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi, Norma....good to hear from you....actually the stone has been hollowed out in the area where you see the tree sitting in its pot. The hollowed area is about 10 inches wide and fairly deep (about 1.75 inches) and has drainage holes. Unfortunately I did not include a photo. of the stone by itself....the concern is the size of the stone and the position of the tree. That is why in my last post I thought of maybe rotating the stone to a vertical position...maybe this would visually reduce the open area a bit?

Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:53 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum