Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai from seed and a few questions

2 posters

Go down

Bonsai from seed and a few questions Empty Bonsai from seed and a few questions

Post  Lynise Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I wanted some bonsai's for my sewing desk and after a good year of gardening, my husband asked why I don't just grow my own, so I said okay. I also know that it takes years for them to be ready to do much with, so I bought a ficus for 15 dollars at a shop in a mall. It's not as bad as some I have seen and I'll post a pic later. I am getting ready to plant several seeds today. I will be planting pomegranates, mesquites, apples, and possibly some pines and junipers. I know it take a long time for trees grown this way to be ready to do much, so my question would be at what stage in a trees growth would you start doing any training? Also, are there any ways to thicken the trunk faster or is that more of a waiting game? I'm thinking the mesquites will go the fastest. I'm in Arizona and have seen how fast they grow just when they pop up in the yard.

And here's the ficus. It needs to be repotted and could use some cleanup, but wasn't the worst looking tree in the store. There is a new branch coming off the back that's kind of hard to see and an aerial root that goes from and outer branch all the way to the base, along with one that crosses over the trunk. It was suggested that I remove it, but I kind of like it right now. Also, a sacrificial branch at the bottom. Since these trees are "bleeders" would it be best to wait till winter to remove the branch or is there something to put over it? Or do I just let it do it's thing? Bonsai from seed and a few questions Img_2011

And yes, it has that "S" curve and the blue glazed pot that I have read so many happy comments about. Smile 
Lynise
Lynise

Back to top Go down

Bonsai from seed and a few questions Empty Re: Bonsai from seed and a few questions

Post  Ryan Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:03 pm

Lynise wrote:Hello, I'm new to the forum. I wanted some bonsai's for my sewing desk and after a good year of gardening, my husband asked why I don't just grow my own, so I said okay. I also know that it takes years for them to be ready to do much with, so I bought a ficus for 15 dollars at a shop in a mall. It's not as bad as some I have seen and I'll post a pic later. I am getting ready to plant several seeds today. I will be planting pomegranates, mesquites, apples, and possibly some pines and junipers. I know it take a long time for trees grown this way to be ready to do much, so my question would be at what stage in a trees growth would you start doing any training? Also, are there any ways to thicken the trunk faster or is that more of a waiting game? I'm thinking the mesquites will go the fastest. I'm in Arizona and have seen how fast they grow just when they pop up in the yard.

And here's the ficus. It needs to be repotted and could use some cleanup, but wasn't the worst looking tree in the store. There is a new branch coming off the back that's kind of hard to see and an aerial root that goes from and outer branch all the way to the base, along with one that crosses over the trunk. It was suggested that I remove it, but I kind of like it right now. Also, a sacrificial branch at the bottom. Since these trees are "bleeders" would it be best to wait till winter to remove the branch or is there something to put over it? Or do I just let it do it's thing? Bonsai from seed and a few questions Img_2011

And yes, it has that "S" curve and the blue glazed pot that I have read so many happy comments about. Smile 
About the training stock from seed: You would want to begin the training once the trees trunk is the thickness you're satisfied with, as once you begin training, growth slows tremendously. There are no ways to speed up thickening other than planting the tree in the ground and letting it grow wild.

About the ficus: It would make no difference whether you prune it now or in the winter, the bleeding white latex will still occur. I can't see what branch you're referring too, but if it's a sacrificial branch at the base of the tree, I'd let it grow to thicken the base.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Bonsai from seed and a few questions Empty Re: Bonsai from seed and a few questions

Post  Lynise Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:13 pm

"I can't see what branch you're referring too, but if it's a sacrificial branch at the base of the tree, I'd let it grow to thicken the base."

It's kind of hiding behind the yarn on the bottom. Sorry it wasn't a better picture. There's actually no sun today. Normally the curtain directly behind the tree is open, but I closed it for the picture. Thanks for your reply.
Lynise
Lynise

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:19 pm

Lynise wrote:"I can't see what branch you're referring too, but if it's a sacrificial branch at the base of the tree, I'd let it grow to thicken the base."

It's kind of hiding behind the yarn on the bottom. Sorry it wasn't a better picture. There's actually no sun today. Normally the curtain directly behind the tree is open, but I closed it for the picture. Thanks for your reply.
Oh there. Is it alive?? Doesn't appear to have any leaves on it. If I were you, I'd have the tree outdoors at this time of the year, soaking in the sun. But don't put it in direct sun right away, it would have to slowly be transitioned from the shade into the sun over the course of a week or two.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down