Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

would like help experimenting on hideous but free stump, please

3 posters

Go down

would like help experimenting on hideous but free stump, please Empty would like help experimenting on hideous but free stump, please

Post  mfw Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Please understand that this was free and I want to use it for experimenting, I know that it will never be a true bonsai.  And it is a ming aralia, which is not anyone's favorite tree for bonsai (that is very clear if you do a search on this forum). But I'd really like to gain some experience with different techniques and this seems like a good plant to start with.  I've read as much as I can online, but I'm having trouble finding specifics re: "what happens if".  My main questions are:

1. Is it possible to successfully separate trunks that are part of only one root system (and not a good one-no nebari at all)- could I split this into several smaller experiments/trees?
2. Is it possible to create taper by cutting or sanding and, if so, does that ever look natural or does it just leave hideous scars?
3. If I air layer one of these trunks in an attempt to get the horrible "straight top" off what will happen to the bottom half of the trunk-will it grow branches and possibly not look so cut off or is the better thing to do is like question 2- just start dremeling all over it?

This is my first experience with trunks of any girth because I have no outside space but a well set-up indoor greenhouse.  So I am excited to be able to try some of the techniques I've only read about.

So, imagine that this was the only "tree" you had and you couldn't get anything else.  What would you do?  Besides throw it away or stop working in bonsai, of course.  Please let your imaginations go wild and any critiques/advice you have will be well taken (as long as they aren't mean) and very appreciated.  And it was free!

would like help experimenting on hideous but free stump, please Img_0715
would like help experimenting on hideous but free stump, please Img_0719
would like help experimenting on hideous but free stump, please Img_0717

mfw

Back to top Go down

would like help experimenting on hideous but free stump, please Empty Re: would like help experimenting on hideous but free stump, please

Post  rrubberbandman Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Sometimes free is super cool!
Man with the right vision i guess it could be a bonsai.....???
Bryan

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

would like help experimenting on hideous but free stump, please Empty Re: would like help experimenting on hideous but free stump, please

Post  mfw Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:09 pm

Thank you, Bryan Very Happy 
Now that I look at a photo of it, I guess it does have some movement in those trunks, if nothing else...
What would you do with it?

Regards,
Melissa

mfw

Back to top Go down

Post  rrubberbandman Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:12 pm

mfw wrote:Thank you, Bryan Very Happy 
Now that I look at a photo of it, I guess it does have some movement in those trunks, if nothing else...
What would you do with it?

Regards,
Melissa
Oh gooodness......informal is probably the only style....but then again i am kinda new to styles,hence thats why i am here!Wink 

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Post  mfw Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:20 pm

Thank you, Bryan.  I am new here as well, and learning so much!

Regards,
Melissa

mfw

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:24 pm

Nice fat trunk(s). The problem I see with it, though, is that it lacks taper and appears to lack bottom branches as well. I would say to give it a good chop, but I have no idea how Ming responds as bonsai material, so that wouldn't be a wise thing to say. It is a big ol' piece of stock though.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  mfw Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:29 pm

Thank you Ryan!
Yes, the taper is dreadful and that is why I am asking questions about "artificial" ways to fix that. I am a stone sculptor among other things, and would love to chisel, dremel, split or otherwise go at it, but need a little guidance first. Any thoughts as to how you would chop?

Regards,
Melissa

mfw

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:30 pm

mfw wrote:Thank you Ryan!
Yes, the taper is dreadful and that is why I am asking questions about "artificial" ways to fix that.  I am a stone sculptor among other things, and would love to chisel, dremel, split or otherwise go at it, but need a little guidance first.  Any thoughts as to how you would chop?

Regards,
Melissa
That's just it, I'm not sure how well these backbud (if at all), so I'd wait for someone with more experience on these to chime in.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down