Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

addiction . . .

+4
Khaimraj Seepersad
JudyB
Rick36
JimLewis
8 posters

Go down

addiction . . . Empty addiction . . .

Post  JimLewis Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:35 pm

My name is Jim and I have a problem . . .

I have this 6-foot bookshelf, and it is so full of bonsai books I have no room for my three most recent purchases -- numbers 306-7- and -8. Plus 103 copies of Bonsai Today, 8 years of International Bonsai and quite a few ABS Journals and BCI's Bonsai.

My book addiction needs help!

<G>
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

addiction . . . Empty Re: addiction . . .

Post  Rick36 Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:07 pm

Jim. you are very brave to come forward in this way. However, I have to tell you that the problem is caused by a dopamine D2 receptor malfunction, cause unknown as yet. The only cure is to administer adenoviral vectors directly into the brain, a transduction process which may radically alter your genome make up. If you wish to volunteer for this process be aware that you may develop an aversion to trees and not just the literature to which they refer. I know this is true, because I read it on Wikipedia.
Good luck!

Rick36

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:18 pm

I have a book that I can sell you to help you with your problem....What a Face 

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi Jim

Let your vife handle your entire economy....she may buy a pony, but it will be kept outside Smile, problem gone.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Hello Jim,

Hello Group, I have over 10 - 7' x 6' bookshelves, and they are filled with Art, Literature, Science, and I have more books on the way. I don't need help or a pony [ Yvonne - chuckle ] and am building more rooms under the house to handle the extra tomes.

Yours happily.Laughing 
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:03 pm

Jim, I can help! I have loads of empty walls, where these books can lodge. You are free to visit whenever you are europe-side. Please let me know your email, and I will send you shipping directions Very Happy
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:45 pm

Gosh! Thanks, everyone, for your help.

I feel SO much better, but my mouse keeps moving to the Amazon.com bookmark . . . .
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

addiction . . . Empty addicdtion

Post  poco cueco Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:45 pm

Hello Jim,
I definitely agree with Rick36. I do think before we alter your genetics, we have to consider that your right hemisphere (your artistic side) has been in control and has been effecting your prefrontal cortex which is not stopping your control of your behavior.

I think we need a bit of a behavioral perspective here. NOW do not freak out on me!

As for all your Bonsai books, have you considered looking through them and donating the ones you really are not found of to a local library or high school or university. Having said that, I would...definitely keep any FIRST EDITION by whomever you believe are true artists and their books are artistic in their own right.

The Journals you could consider doing the same as above. I have had "tons" of woodworking (for example) magazines and finally went through them and donated the ones I really did not find important TO ME.
I also went through them and ripped(painful words) the articles I liked and threw out the rest of the journal. I then put the articles into binders by topic for future reference.

Anyone who has a lot of books and journals have the same "issue." (To use the word "problem" is too negative and politically incorrect)therefore,

Do not let your "organizational genius"(like the sound of those words) overwhelm you. Just allot a certain amount of time with a specific global goal first, like taking the first 50 books and putting them into some type of order. The finer distinctions you can do later.

Somewhere down the line, if you have some accounting genetics in you (and your left hemisphere is detailing you to death)you might consider creating a spread sheet in your computer of some type and putting the titles there. You could then...if your Obsessive-Compulsive behavior is more severe, add topical notes whenever you come across something in a book you like and want to find it later. The above may seem a bit much but if the military can do it and one of my friends actually does that, it is within the realm of possibilities.

Not last nor is it least, after you start this project, some Motrin could help with any inflammation caused by stressors on the back. You can also add some Tylenol to that since they both work on different pathways in brain and L4-L5 part of the back.

ORRRRRR, you could just add an addition to your house which would increase the value and create a library. I prefer the bookcases be part of the structure and you could have these bookcases made of mahogany or walnut. In your neck of the woods, they are known for their woodworking excellence!

Lastly, I do not see any behavioral signs of addiction here; instead, a read a real artistic sense of genius at work which is typical of all true great artists!

Lastly, lastly(redundant but I like it), I would do anything without CONSULTING WITH YOUR WIFE!
ed
PS: I would add more but I have to go into my garage and organize my flathead, Phillips #2 brass woodscrews!

poco cueco
poco cueco

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:48 pm

Have you picked up William valavanis's new book. "Classical bonsai art"? It's fantastic! Like you I buy every bonsai book I hear about.

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:55 pm

Yeah. I have it. I got it at Bill's 50th Celebration. It's one of those I can't find room for -- along with two others -- in Japanese -- that I bought there.

Oh yes, I also have scores of books on Ukiyoe, Netsuke, Historical Geography, American History, environmental science, and hundreds of SF and Fantasy, mystery, a few books on photography, and, finally, cook books (these last are shared with wife, Jackie.).

And we built an addition when we moved in here. <g>
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JADunnagan Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:00 pm

Sounds like my library Jim. I'd say the best remedy is to build another addition. Or Mr. Kay's Used Books so I can grab them next week.

JADunnagan

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Maybe you could start a lending library for us less well endowed bonsai (book) folk.
Could work, and would be of great interest to me...Idea 

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:48 pm

JudyB wrote:Maybe you could start a lending library for us less well endowed bonsai (book) folk.  
Could work, and would be of great interest to me...:idea: 
I've tried the lending library idea from time to time, but the inevitable tracking down (and recovering) of very wayward books is a pain in the kazoo. I do offer a "reading room." And there's a scanner for limited use.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

addiction . . . Empty addiction

Post  poco cueco Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:12 pm

Well Jim,
It appears from what I am reading that you want to keep your books, magazines and journals unless you want to give some of them away to "budding Bonsai" students.

It really leaves you limited options:
1. you are going to have to find space some place else in your house by moving what is there elsewhere.
a. building or buying bookcases that have multiple applications based on their design.
2. Boxing up either books, journals, and , magazines and finding a place to keep them.
3. Building some type or buying some type of structure where you can keep your books, etc. safe from the elements, aging process and "bugs!)
4. Or, you can just keep doing what you are doing, adapting as you go.

Personally, I choose to add a room to my house some time ago, knowing full well that in the future, I would have that very same problem.

What the books have taught you over the years, what you have shared with others in your knowledge and the beauty that you have created in your trees for others to see including God is the greatest book you have-you!
Good Luck
ed

poco cueco
poco cueco

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum