Bald Cypress - Root bark damage, how much is to much to recover from?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bald Cypress - Root bark damage, how much is to much to recover from?

Post  SMJ76 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:08 pm

Hello all.

I had picked up (ordered) this large bald cypress from a nursery and it just came in yesterday.  However, it has some issues on two of the roots that I was worried about regarding some damage sustained either in packing or in shipping before it got to me.  I'd like to keep it IF it will be something that I won't have to worry about the tree healing itself back up without a good chance if further problems or it eventually just dying.  I have the option to ship it back for a refund, BUT, I honestly like the tree's look and think it has some great potential, (what do you think?) if the roots that were damaged will be fixable by perhaps just planting it with some raffia tied around the bark or cut paste applied at the damaged area, or otherwise?
I'm pretty new to the world of bonsai and especially to the bald cypress, hence the questions.

First here are photos of the tree. This was before it was shipped out. Right now its still bare roots and sitting in a tub of water.  I was told it had dyed back some time in the past but regrew two new shoots (off to the side).  Of the three you see, the middle one is completely dead, but the other two are thriving nicely.  My thought was to choose one of the two live shoots and cut off both the other live one and the dead (as I had read to get rid of anything dead on a bald cypress?... though I can't understand why as I've seen wonderful bald cypress trees with dead wood on them that were thriving beautifully!)
If the fix of the roots says that this will easily survive and flourish without issue, then I'd be very interested to see what others think of the possible styling possibilities that exist for this particular tree?  I have a few of my own but I like to get the views of others as well.

Area where the three shoots has grown out, you can see the middle one is dead but the one has grown almost as part of it towards the base?

ON TO THE QUESTIONS REGARDING DAMAGED ROOTS....Rolling Eyes 

**Now, here at two photos of the two damaged roots.  Both are main roots.  Not to mention, I have to cut back the roots on either side anyway, as the width is somewhere around 18 inches if I recall when I measured them yesterday!

*First roots is about a 3/4" inch wide root.  Looks like something may have slid over the root causing the bark to tear. Then the second photo I have drawn arrows to show where both areas of damage are...they are basically on the same root, its just that the smaller is an offshoot of the other.

*Second photo is of a much larger root, approx. 1.5-2" inches wide.  You can see the exposed area but the bark actually was pulled back a good bit for about 2.5" inches past that.  In this photo I just laid it back into place but marked the length at which is was pulled back.  

I'm thinking (perhaps correctly, perhaps incorrectly?) that these will heal up as it is a healthy looking tree.....but as I said I'm relatively new to bald cypress so I'm still feeling things out.

Thanks a million in advance for any assistance.Very Happy

SMJ76

Back to top Go down

Re: Bald Cypress - Root bark damage, how much is to much to recover from?

Post  JimLewis on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:37 pm

The tree won't even notice them.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  SMJ76 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:39 pm

JimLewis wrote:The tree won't even notice them.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!    cheers cheers cheers

So what is the best way to deal with those areas of damage then? Just plant it and forget about them or indeed wrap raffia or apply cut paste to them?

SMJ76

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:22 am

In my opinion I would just not worry about them. BC are like weeds and hard to hurt.

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:28 am

I would just plant it and then set the pot in water until it starts to drop its leaves this fall. Mine in Spokane which will have a similar climate to you in Pa grows like a weed when kept wet. I take them out of the water and give it about a month of treatment like any other bonsai before putting them into winter storage (cold frame to avoid the extremes of cold and dry here).

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:38 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum