Efficient growing, air pots and colanders

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Efficient growing, air pots and colanders

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:27 pm

Hey Folks,

thought I would share this with you.

Today, I transfered over a very vigourous, 1 year plus a few months old Japanese black pine, from a 3" x 3" [ 7.5 x 7.5 cm ] earthenware pot [ porous ] to a 2 x 8" [ 5 x 20 cm ] earthenware saucer [ porous ]

Very well rooted and the roots circling the pot. which got me thinking about air pots and the cheaper alternative, colanders. Used to force the roots to not circle, but stop as they reach the exterior of the colander and air, restarting new roots closer to the trunk, and hopefully efficiently using the soil mix.

Well I went back to Bonsai Today, volume 20. The article on Japanese black pines from seed. Now I would have caught on to the use of the colander back then, if the article had anything on how roots handled growing in the colander.

ARTICLE [ 1992 ] DID SAY,IDIOT HERE DID NOT READ CLOSELY ENOUGH , TIME I COULD HAVE SAVED AND WHAT I COULD HAVE BETTERED , entered 5th AUGUST 2013

Additionally because of an oddity in our climate, the colder we grow, the drier we become, transplanting using a blend of inorganic and compost, is enhanced and all of this with lower humidity [ 50% ].
The rains return some 5 to 6 months later, the tree is somewhat pot bound, and the heavy rains cause no problems
So reading the article in Bonsai Today, mention is made of silica gravel mixed with akadama - I believe 2/3 to 1/3.
The akadama being a clay fired to 650 deg.c or so, resisting decay for x length of time.

The akadama here would still be porous and acting as a water reservoir.

Well we can substitute compost for the akadama, and grow in 1/3 compost to 2/3 inorganic, and if need be, within the inorganic substitute in crushed earthenware red brick.

The colander can also be assisted in enhancing growth, by being placed into a larger colander with more soil mix.

So instead of having to feed in compost balls [ oil meal ] with the akadama/gravel mix, we can just use an inorganic fertiliser or organic fertiliser.

The colander will assist in root extensions horizontally, and need not be deeper than 6" [ 15 cm ] or I suspect 4" [ 10 cm ] on my side.

So I guess next year I will be experimenting with colanders and looking for efficient growth [ not faster, just healthier trees mind you.]
Hope this helps someone, and apologies if you knew this already.
Later.
Khaimraj

* I am also continuing an idea that one can calculate a design / shape and allow a shaped, but thin speciment to thicken evenly all over and ultimately satisfy the guidelines for a mature, conventional bonsai tree.
Finer cuts / wounds, being easier to heal ------------> inspired by my work on Sageretia t. which does not like to heal large [ over 0.5 cm ] wounds.

Last edited by Khaimraj Seepersad on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : STUPID PRIZE RECIPIENT)

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Re: Efficient growing, air pots and colanders

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:34 pm

While probably more expensive than colander, the containers used in Koi ponds to hold water lily bulbs will also work.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:19 am

Thanks Billy,

they don't exist down here, but Nigel P. from Jamaica has mentioned their use to me.
Later.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:14 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum