Post  GerhardGerber on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Very Happy  Complete with fly sh1t : Laughing 

Cheers
Gerhard

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Re: Thinking on this Celtis.

Post  my nellie on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:16 am

Todd Ellis wrote:Dario's link to the Celtis blog is very informative! I cut and pasted it here again for readers...
http://bonsailo.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/japoncia-king-of-deciduous-bonsai-in.html
Thanks, Todd!
So, I have read in Dario's link under "Cultivation" that :
"Seedling of celtis is very easy to obtain in the wild or nursery.  However, most of seedling has fine branches die-back and poor branch ramification problem.  The best celtis material is from the root cutting of celtis trees with good ramification and well branch development. "
and I wonder if anyone of you expert gentlemen could post some description/clarification for us ignorants... Very Happy

Thank you in advance, kind members of IBC!

my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:50 pm

"description/clarification for us ignorants.."

If you see one you particularly like, take a cutting or air-layer, don't count on the seeds producing plants with exactly the same characteristics.

I think.......and I would do. People older than 20 shouldn't mess around with seeds! Very Happy 

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:59 am

Thank you for your response, Gerhard.
In fact, I'd like to focus on "root cutting". Does this mean that celtis can be best propagated by root cuttings?

GerhardGerber wrote:... ...People older than 20 shouldn't mess around with seeds! Very Happy 
I'm standing far and away from 20 and I would say I agree with you even though I have tried some species from seeds -no luck though- and I am only successful in growing some wrightias from seed. However, I know my friend Khaimraj's  disagreement and I am sure he will declare it Very Happy

my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:06 pm

Ha ha ha - Gerhard - Alexandra,

I protest, ha ha ha.

Look, my celtis is from seed and the other two were from backyard toothpick thick trunks. All have 3" [ 7.5 cm ] trunks and they did that in under 3 years. Good for my standard of 15 to 18" [ 39 to 46 cm ] height in Bonsai.
Trough growing, baby, trough growing ------ booyah!

Khaimraj [ laughing all the way Laughing Laughing Laughing ]

* And you don't need to be 20 years old, 3 years you could be 80 or 90 or 100. Die gloriously on the way !!!!!

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi Alexandra, Khaimraj

="focus on "root cutting"."
I have no idea, maybe they mean "rooted cutting"?

Since this is a bonsai website and we're agreed that most of us aren't young anymore Laughing  Laughing , I would say air layers are the best way.

Twisted Evil ........the again, I love air layers! Laughing 

I do still plant seeds for various reasons, but these are often plants I give away. There are still several Acacia (the real African type jocolor ) that I can only start from seed, but as the years fly I'm trying to avoid this as far as possible.

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:44 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum