Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Early morning visitor

4 posters

Go down

Early morning visitor Empty Early morning visitor

Post  Guest Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:24 pm

Was out early this morning, just walking around the backyard, and noticed early morning sun on one of my
ficus. Went over to look, and saw brown on a leaf, which turned out to be a little tree frog.
In my neck of the woods, it would be a "gray tree frog", native to Ontario/Canada.
He was happily catching little flying insects which were coming for early morning dew drop moisture.
Nature in action and at it's finest on my tree. He/she is about 1/2" long.
Early morning visitor Uxbrid10
Early morning visitor Uxbrid11
He is somewhere near the top of this tree
Early morning visitor Uxbrid12

Back to top Go down

Early morning visitor Empty Re: Early morning visitor

Post  Hoo Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Very cool little surprise.

As far as wanted or acceptable visitors to my plants are concerned, they're often frequented by praying manti (mantis', mantuses, manatees, ?) and the occasional Leroy.

Early morning visitor Img_2025

Early morning visitor Img_2026
Hoo
Hoo

Back to top Go down

Early morning visitor Empty Very interesting.

Post  lennard Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:02 pm

Very interesting - did not know that Canada have tree frogs. How do they survive winter?

If that is a Ficus burtt-davyi I am impressed by its size! Any further styling in its future?

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:33 pm

pics to follow

Last edited by caudiciformken on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Early morning visitor Empty Interesting collection.

Post  lennard Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:28 pm

I have the same problem when it comes to plants - I collect and collect and collect!

I think it would be an good idea to start styling your tree. As far as the species go, I don't think you will get the trunk much thicker because it is the habit of the beast - these Ficus are ramblers rooting each time the rambling part touches soil. The tree to my have a rain forest Ficus feel and I think it would be an good idea to exploit the roots of your tree this way. I have virted in a suggestion for a pot. The pink indicated roots would look good if you can get them to go straight down and not curvy.

I personally would like a flatter open umbrella crown with pads flowing into other - but I do understand your love for this taller tree. It can be reduced later on if you feel like that.

Here is a virt showing the pads from what I can make of the current growth of your tree:

Early morning visitor Fbd10

If you can manage it, it would be nice if the air roots you are going to get, can cascade past the pot on the left hand side.

Keep us updated - you are doing a great job growing this species outside of its natural habitat.

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Lovely tree frog. We all need to preserve our declining amphibians, they are really struggling world wide!
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:47 am

Hoo wrote:
As far as wanted or acceptable visitors to my plants are concerned, they're often frequented by praying manti (mantis', mantuses, manatees, ?) and the occasional Leroy.
Plural is mantises or mantids.
Who's Leroy?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Early morning visitor Empty Early Morning Visitor

Post  bonsaisr Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:55 am

lennard wrote:did not know that Canada have tree frogs. How do they survive winter?
Lennard
In cold climates, frogs, turtles, salamanders, & similar cold-blooded animals hibernate in the mud at the bottom of their pond.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoo Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:47 pm

bonsaisr wrote:
Hoo wrote:
Plural is mantises or mantids.
Who's Leroy?
Iris

Thanks, Iris.  Leroy is the cat.
Hoo
Hoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoo Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:50 pm

caudiciformken, do you have swamps or another body of water nearby?
Hoo
Hoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi, swamps, ponds etc, within a half a mile/kilometer in any direction. The frogs must come from, and hibernate at those places.
Seems a long way to come to my backyard for some insects though!
I've not seen this tree frog up close before, as they are normally high in trees. I've seen little ground frogs, big toads,
leopard frogs, and spring peepers in the backyard before, so no shortage of frogs in my neighbourhood.
My province (like a State), banned residential pesticides and herbicides years ago, so pretty much anything used to kill weeds in a home owners
home, would be horticultural vinegar or a copper based spray that kills the weeds, but not the grass. In spring "corn gluten" can be
used to smother any emerging weeds, and natural nemetodes used for grubs.
So the frogs have it good now!

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoo Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:40 am

Most excellent. Thanks for sharing.
Hoo
Hoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down