Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting my collection

+4
Norma
bonsaisr
tmmason10
giga
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Starting my collection - Page 2 Empty Re: Starting my collection

Post  Apache2010 Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:39 pm

Excellent detective work! Very Happy I really look forward to how this tree turns out now. A very interesting project you have on your hands giga!

Apache2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:08 pm

a thought on the red maple. The red maple, Acer rubrum, frequently hybridizes naturally with other maples in its vicinity. One naturally occurring hybrid swarm is Acer x freemanii, which is (rubrum x saccharum) the hybrid with the sugar maple. This leaf to me looks a bit like x freemanii. The degree of the resemblence to red maple or sugar maple will depend on how many generations it has back-crossed back into one parent or another. Hence the term, hybrid swarm. There will be lots of gradations between the two types. There are natural hybrids with silver maple, rock or black maple and possibly some other species. SO, your maple is what it is, and very well may have some hybrid genetics. Still, nothing wrong with that at all.

If the sap is clear when you break a leaf petiole, then I think x freemanii is one good bet. If the sap is milky white, then the introduced weed species, the Norway Maple, Acer platanoides, is a possibility.

Regardless of what species it is, it is one of the larger leaf maples. In general terms for bonsai they are all treated roughly the same. Usually styled to be larger trees, or to be enjoyed in early spring for new leaves and flowers, in fall for foliage colors, or leafless in winter. The leaf petioles will likely remain too long compared to leaf size, giving an ungainly look. But all species of trees have their strengths and weaknesses. Understanding that one can work around the faults. You shouldn't try to make this maple look like a Japanese Maple. People who dismiss using the larger leaf maples for bonsai are people stuck on the idea than all maple bonsai has to look like a refined Japanese Maple. Once you detach the mind from that image, the large leaf maples can be interesting as bonsai.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Starting my collection - Page 2 Empty Starting My Collection

Post  bonsaisr Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:20 pm

As noted above, Acer xfreemanii is rubrum x saccharinum. Acer saccharum, the sugar maple, is a different species.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:52 am

Thank you all for all the awesome info! It's a large maple as it is as its sitting in a deep pot right now to help it grow. I'm gonna enjoy this maple for what it is and I like to think outside of the box so it may not be a true bonsai to some but it will be interesting to look at for sure!
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:50 am

Leo Schordje wrote:But all species of trees have their strengths and weaknesses. Understanding that one can work around the faults. You shouldn't try to make this maple look like a Japanese Maple. People who dismiss using the larger leaf maples for bonsai are people stuck on the idea than all maple bonsai has to look like a refined Japanese Maple. Once you detach the mind from that image, the large leaf maples can be interesting as bonsai.

I really like that thought Cool 
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2