Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting my collection

+4
Norma
bonsaisr
tmmason10
giga
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Starting my collection Empty Starting my collection

Post  giga Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:35 pm

After I bought my first house this Christmas, and finally having a back yard, I finally started to build some benches and start a collection of bonsai. It's not much right now but it'll grow and get there. Not all are pictured but here's just a few. I'm still learning, but I'm already addicted and it's so much fun.

Leyland Cypress-needs grafting and time to fill in, but it was free so I thought i'd see what I could do with it
Starting my collection Tchd

9 Bark Diablo- growing very well for me and turning into a fav. of mine
Starting my collection Ksc7

Collected red maple this last spring-has a lot of dead wood and such but just gonna leave it alone for a couple seasons before I start working on it.
Starting my collection B28q

My attempted at Literati on a juniper that had to be move for a deck-still needs work but was a little unsure on how much work I could do on it-It's growing well though so I didn't kill it yet lol
Starting my collection 1nn9

Bosnian Pine-Not really sure what to do with this guy, might just plant it in the ground and leave it there for a while.
Starting my collection Hjui

Seiju elm(forground),burning bush (right)JBP(left)
Starting my collection Uflz
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Starting my collection Empty Re: Starting my collection

Post  tmmason10 Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:59 pm

I think you have done well so far. The cypress looks like a good project to me in particular. You have some tough material to work with though. But it's a start.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:51 pm

yeah the material is not the best, but got to learn some how
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Starting my collection Empty Starting My Collection

Post  bonsaisr Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:52 am

Are you sure that's a red maple, Acer rubrum? Where did you get it?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:32 am

Got it here locally and everyone on here said it was a red maple
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:24 am

Hi Giga

You have a many interesting Projects going on here, and I am sure more will come. I wish you good luck in the future, and look forward to updates....have you joined a Club already?...it is close to always a good idea.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:48 pm

There is one locally but I don't have time to join at the moment
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:48 pm

The leaves look more like a silver maple (Acer saccharinum). If the foliage is red in the spring and fall, and smaller than it looks, it could be a Japanese maple (Acer palmatum). You should really make time to visit the bonsai club. It will save you time in the long run. Take the maple tree with you & have it identified. Its correct identity will determine its bonsai prospects. If it is a silver maple, it is garbage.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi giga,

The red maple in my yard has dark green leaves ....here is a photo from a web site:

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/red_maple.htm

This maple would not make a great bonsai because the leaves will not reduce for bonsai size. Very few American landscape maples are suitable for bonsai ...too bad... the trunk is quite interesting.

You have made a good start .... look for trees and bushes with small leaves .

Good luck,
Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  Apache2010 Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi.

This is my baby Red maple. You can see that the new leaves are slightly reddish and appear to be a different shape to your trees.

Starting my collection 5svo

Apache2010

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:49 pm

All the leaves were bright red in spring, also I was able to reduce some of the leaves, as I tested it on one brach
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:57 pm

You probably have a Japanese maple, a good candidate for bonsai.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:22 pm

I think we can actually agree that it is NOT japanese maple. Looks like silver maple but I am no expert.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:48 pm

Hard to identify a tree from a picture, unless it is very unique. Yes, the leaves do resemble silver maple, but I never heard of that species being red in the spring. And leaf shape varies so much in A. palmatum that it can look like anything.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Apache2010 Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:07 pm

If the tree has been collected from the 'wild' in the US i'd be surprised if it was a Japanese Maple. From the leaves, location etc i'd be almost certain its a Silver Maple.

Apache2010

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:11 am

Well, giga, tell us where you collected it. All we know so far is that you obtained it locally. Did you collect it out in the woods or from somebody's backyard?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:30 pm

I got it in the woods in virginia beach while collecting bamboo. I'll take a couple more pics of it
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  Auballagh Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Great trunk, and I'd love to see this Red Maple Acer rubrum, someday in person. Rolling Eyes 

Starting my collection 2zoeqfa

When you're ready and have the time, c'mon down and visit your local club; the Virginia Bonsai Society! Myself and a few other members really like this species and have some other locally collected and developed Red Maple bonsai trees we've been working with, we could show you.  A nice, friendly bunch of bonsai folks. We'll leave the light on for you. Smile
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

Post  Apache2010 Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:44 pm

That tree is not a Acer Rubrum.

Apache2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Auballagh Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Here's the thread he first put up.

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t13129-collecting-bamboo-and-look-what-i-found

This maple species is endemic to the Tidewater area of Virginia where we live.  Unfortunately, the pictures detailing the leaves in that post don't come up anymore.  But, we called it a Red maple then, and until I see this tree in person....  I'm sticking to it.
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

Post  Apache2010 Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:16 pm

That's fair enough. I would also like to see some close up of the leaves. From the picture at the start of the thread, however, it really, really doesn't look like a Rubrum. The leaves are completely wrong.

Apache2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Auballagh Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:08 am

I stand corrected. Suspect 
And, it would seem that actually NONE of us are completely correct in ID'ing this maple tree.  Why????
It's a HYBRID!

Do you have a copy of 'The Sibley Guide To Trees' by David Allen Sibley?  On page 336 of this North American tree identification guide, it shows a very clear illustration of almost the exact same leaf shape shown on Giga's collected tree.  
That is....
a Red-Silver Maple Hybrid!  Acer rubrum X Acer saccharinum.  Both of these species range freely into this geographic area, and will apparently hybridize quite readily with each other.  In fact, according to Sibley's once again: "Silver Maple X Red Maple hybrids occur naturally and are also cultivated and frequently planted (known as 'Freeman' Maple)."

Here is a picture of a leaf I just picked from one of my own Red Maple bonsai trees,

Starting my collection 2im3iwj

(Please disregard the water droplets - it's NOT a scale alert!)
And I totally agree.  That is definitely not the leaf pattern shown on Giga's tree.
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:32 am

Of course. Red spring color and silver maple leaf shape. Acer xfreemanii is praised as a desirable street tree, but scarcely mentioned for bonsai. Giga, you MUST try to make a bonsai out of it. One source mentioned that the leaves reduce even better than trident maple. It is said to have the strong wood and other desirable traits of red maple and the rapid growth and tolerance of adverse conditions of silver maple. Go for it. cheers 
By the way, maple bonsai are not usually trained with deadwood. It will rot too easily. You will have to watch it and probably treat it with wood hardener. Ask the bonsai club.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:13 am

more pics

Starting my collection 8rfx
Starting my collection Vhr9

problem area-had a colony of ants living in it-not sure what to do with this part but it is growing like wildfire
Starting my collection P5wk
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:24 am

also my(red and black) mangroves are making a nice recover

Starting my collection 2fw4

shot down my first bench
Starting my collection 9m1a
giga
giga