Progression of shohin white pine graft

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Progression of shohin white pine graft

Post  Rob C on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:20 pm

Seeing Yvonne Graubaek beautiful shohin black pines inspired me to post my shohin white pine. This is a grafted white pine that I bought about a year ago. Originally, it was meant to be a cascade, a very poor one. I realized that with some major branch removal, a different front and angle, the tree might have some good shohin potential. It has only been a year, but the tree is progressing very fast.

This is the tree as purchased. I also designated the work to be done in a virt. The red lines were the first set of chops. The yellow lines were to be the next set a year later.

This is after the first set of chops were made. Also, the new proposed front and angle.

About a year later, the second set of chops were made.

Now, the tree can have it's first styling.

I could not get the tree into the training pot I wanted. I ended up using this one for the size. It is only for training purposes.

2 months later, the tree is doing very well. A pretty quick progression for a pine. However, this tree is just starting it's training.

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Re: Progression of shohin white pine graft

Post  marcus watts on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:33 pm

100% superb - that is the way to turn a mass produced pine into a serious quality tree 

cheers marcus

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:25 pm

What a difference in so short of time. I really like the movement in such a short, fat trunk. I usually don't like such little, fat trunks, because they just look lumpy to me, but I love the shape of this one. You definitely made a great step forward in the quality of this tree by changing its whole design plan to your own. 

Mike

MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  KennedyMarx on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:19 am

Looks great! I actually like the lotus pot you put it in. I think it fits well with the crown of the pine.

KennedyMarx

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:11 am

marcus watts wrote:100% superb - that is the way to turn a mass produced pine into a serious quality tree 

cheers marcus

Thanks Marcus. I wish there were more hidden gems like this material. However, if there were, I guess they would not be hidden gems any more.Very Happy

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:13 am

MikeG wrote:What a difference in so short of time. I really like the movement in such a short, fat trunk. I usually don't like such little, fat trunks, because they just look lumpy to me, but I love the shape of this one. You definitely made a great step forward in the quality of this tree by changing its whole design plan to your own. 

Mike

Thanks Mike, I agree. It is the subtle curve and good taper that makes this good material. If it did not have this, it would be a stump with foliage on top. For me, I need more than just a thick trunk on a tree. It has to be interesting and be pleasing to the viewer.

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:17 am

KennedyMarx wrote:Looks great! I actually like the lotus pot you put it in. I think it fits well with the crown of the pine.

Thanks Kennedy. Ya, not really a bad pot at all. A nice recovery pot. I think when the tree fills in and creates a little larger of a silhouette. The pot will match a little more. That's the thing with pines. Since you can't repot them often. I believe it is important to have something that you don't mind looking at for years.Very Happy

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban on Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:40 pm

Very nice job, I need to go get one-now!

Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  -Daniel- on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:51 pm

Beautiful bonsai built with excellent proportions. Very Happy

I like the log and the blue-green color of the leaves. Dance

My compliments,

Greetings Daniel ThumbsUp

-Daniel-

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:11 pm

Super little pine; nice work ... and vision!

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:43 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum