chinese ligustrum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

chinese ligustrum

Post  s.jones on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:31 am

Is defoliation of Chinese ligustrum beneficial? If so, when is the best time to accomplish this? Living in south florida has a long growing season. The small ligustrum I have is a double trunk and 8 inches tall with  compact foliage. I can't see into the tree to make the right decision to direct any branch wiring. I just acquired it from a fellow bonsaist who passed away. Any thoughts?

s.jones

Back to top Go down

Re: chinese ligustrum

Post  Xavier de Lapeyre on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:26 am

That would depend on how healthy it is. Ligustrum are usually hardy and fast growers.

I used to defoliate mine whenever new growth was starting to appear [ bud swelling and just starting to extend ]
I can't give you a month or period b'cause that would vary from area to area.
How many flush of growth would this species give you in one year? 1, 2 or 4 flushes?

Xavier de Lapeyre

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:19 pm

Ligustrum sinensis is deciduous (or nearly so) in a pot up here in western NC.  I have several small ones, and while I don't defoliate in the summer, I can't imagine that it would harm the tree.  It is an invasive weed, after all.

I've also quit trying to wire these things.  The branches have a memory an elephant would envy.  Mine are exclusively clip and grow.  I tend to cut them all WAY back in the spring -- almost starting from scratch.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:43 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum