Whitefly egg problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Whitefly egg problem

Post  Barry M on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi - I did a search in IBC's Pests and Diseases and couldn't find anything about whitefly egg control.  Anyway, I'd like to leave my pomegranate plant outside as late in the season as possible but in late August or late September the tree gets attacked by lots of whiteflies.  Getting rid of the whiteflies is not easy but getting rid of the tiny, transparent eggs is even tougher (much tougher).  I don't want to use any pesticide and I'd like to know if there is another remedy that would kill the whiteflies and especially the eggs.  Is there something I could put on the leaves to do the trick?

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Re: Whitefly egg problem

Post  JimLewis on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:47 pm

A soap spray will take care of whiteflies and it is NON-poisonous.  You may have to apply weekly in the "season."

Moving to pests.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry M on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks Jim.

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankP999 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:01 pm

[quote="JimLewis"]A soap spray will take care of whiteflies and it is NON-poisonous.  You may have to apply weekly in the "season."

Moving to pests.[/quote
Jim,
Do you have a favorite recipe for whiteflies? I have them on some Japanese maples, bald cypress, and elms. Thanks

Frank

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:38 pm

Mine is right out of Rodale's Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening:

"1-3 teaspoons of household soap (NOT detergent) per gallon of water . . . "

Some folks add a tsp of rubbing alcohol, but I don't.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankP999 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:47 am

Jim,
Thanks. Have you ever used neem oil?

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:10 pm

No. And I would not in the summer. It is oil based. I also have some doubts as to its safety. Just me, maybe, but Me is who I live with.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:39 pm

page four of this:

http://www.milwaukeebonsai.org/Newsletters/MBS201407news.pdf

has another recipe... goes against a couple of things jim said...

but we don't live with him  Wink 

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankP999 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:54 pm

Thanks folks, I will try most anything cause they are working a number on one of my arakawa maples.

Frank

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Beer City Snake wrote:page four of this:

http://www.milwaukeebonsai.org/Newsletters/MBS201407news.pdf

has another recipe... goes against a couple of things jim said...

I don't spot much that "goes against a couple of things" I said here. I did note this was from the prime organic gardening spokespeople, Rodale and was a quote from the book. Rodale isn't partial to detergents, and neither am I. Ivory Soap is a much simpler chemical compound than a detergent. The detergent vs soap thing is covered here: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05547.html

Maybe it's not an issue in Milwaukee, but down here in our summer heat I'd never, ever spray a bonsai with anything with an oil in it. Deep fried bonsai is not on my menu. Oils are OK in winter.

The important thing about soaps/detergents as insecticides is that they work as a "contact spray," meaning that an insect has to be drenched in the stuff to be killed. Simply spraying the entire plant with the soap spray will do nothing if there are no insects present. It has no residual activity of ANY kind.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin stoeveken on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:10 am

hey jim,

the couple things were just that... the soap vs detergent and the oil...

oh, yeah and the alcohol   drunken 

but like you said, some factors are dependant upon where you live...

i think the contact killing thing is that it suffocates them because they breathe through their exoskeletons... and the repeated spraying over the course of a couple weeks kills as new ones come up though various life cycles...

or something like that... scratch 

AAC Original Milwaukee Wi. Chapter - North America

aka beer city snake
link to ARBOR ARTS COLLECTIVE BLOG

kevin stoeveken

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:16 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: