Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

False Cypress

4 posters

Go down

False Cypress Empty False Cypress

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:06 pm

Just "found" 2 new trees. The tags list them as Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Cyano Viridis'. As I searched for information on both the scientificand common names I find that there are severl types of false cypress out there.

I would put up photos, but the boss has the camera for the weekend and she is out of town until Sunday.

Other than cleaning out the dead, these will not be messed with until next year.

Anyone have any experience with this species?

They are listed as evergreen, slow growing, hardy to -20 to -30 F and good as container plants.

One is already established as a "mother-daughter" twin-trunk tree. The other is open for styling. OF the specimens at the nursery, these two both had the strongest trunks & branches.

I will post photos on Monday.

I would love to see photos of other false cypress out there.

Thanks,

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

False Cypress Empty Re: False Cypress

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:20 pm

I've worked with C. pisifera Boulevard. A tricky species but they can, given the correct care, make excellent bonsai. Not sure about the Cyano Viridis variety.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:27 pm

These posses a very soft, almost plummage-like needle formation, bluish-green and the trunks are reddish and fairly well textured. They look to me to need deciding where the front is, clearing out the lower 2/3 of the front and some shaping before allowing to grow and begin training. The apparent down side is that the interior tends to brown. The web pages I have read indicate the use of a gloved hand to remove the dead and opening it up like a standard bonsai should at least reduce the amount of interior dying caused by lack of exposure to light.

I just checked the derivation and meaning of Cyano Viridis. Cyano (Greek from kyanos) means dark blue. Viridis (a Latin variant of Viridiana) means green. Although there is also a silvery tint to the needles as well.

Kev: Several of the pages on C. visifera also list this tree as the 'Boulevard Cypress'. So maybe, the Cyano Viridis is just a commercial way ov renaming this tree to fit a marketing scheme.

Last edited by Jay Gaydosh on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : additional information)
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

False Cypress Empty False Cypress

Post  bonsaisr Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:17 am

'Cyano Viridis' is an old synonym. The correct name is Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard.' It is named after the Boulevard nursery, which I presume registered the cultivar. The common name is blue moss cypress.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:34 am

Kev Bailey wrote:I've worked with C. pisifera Boulevard. A tricky species but they can, given the correct care, make excellent bonsai. Not sure about the Cyano Viridis variety.

Do these bud back at all? If so how can you induce them to do so?
Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:49 pm

According to everything I have read, they do not backbud on hardened wood. Although, both of the trees I bought have new growth at various parts of the trunk between the roots and the first branches.
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down