Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum

+5
Vance Wood
stonener
Khaimraj Seepersad
JimLewis
fiona
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum Empty VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum

Post  fiona Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Some of you may have noticed that we have had a bit of a facelift in the Editor function (i.e. the way we can write our posts).   Please note this is not something the IBC Admin team have done - it is a Forumotion-wide upgrade.

I'll update our How the system works sticky at some point but meanwhile, here is an overview of the new features:

When you click on Reply or Edit Post and have a look at the screen you then have in front of you, you'll see some instant differences. It looks like this:

VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum New_ba10

As you can see the toolbar is different and as well as being nice and colourful, it lets you do some things a bit more directly, such as inserting youtube videos.

The smileys have gone from down the side of your page and are now in a drop down menu which you get by clicking on the smiley icon. 

In short, the new editor is composed of two modes:

• WYSIWYG mode,
    which displays the elements as they should appear on-line on your forum.   I'm using that right now and it makes things a lot easier, for example when I go to make something Bold, it appears as such on screen rather than as the code tags. 
  • Source code mode,
    Which displays all the corresponding BBCode tags.  Some folk like their codes, so if that's your preference, have at it.

You can switch between those two modes via this button:

VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum Button10

Last edited by fiona on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum Empty Re: VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum

Post  fiona Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:04 pm

There also appear to be some changes to the way pics upload. I have just tried to upload via my normal method and it misses out the need to press Upload. 

I used Choose file, Host it, Copied the middle line then the action of  clicking my cursor on to the screen made the code appear - no need to Paste and Upload was not available as an option. 

VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum Apple11

Clearly it worked.  And so much simpler.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum Empty Re: VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum

Post  fiona Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:06 pm

The Forumotion techie boffins have pointed out that like all upgrades it may not be entirely trouble-free, and they have asked us to let them know if there are issues.

Can I ask you therefore to use this thread to let us know if you are having problems with any of the new features/ways of working and we'll pass them on.

Thanks

Fiona
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:59 am

Hi fiona

Imoticons does not stick..it is shown when used, but when previewed, is it not shown, just the sign of it.

kind regards Yvonne:(

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:47 am

It is working for me - both as a clicked icon from the smiley menu Very Happy    and if I use code  Smile

What browser are you using, Yvonne?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:49 am

And also when not editing in wysiwyg?

Very Happy
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Trying this now using Internet Explorer. 

Inserting smiley silentBagpiper
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Emoticons working for me in IE as well as Google Chrome.

Howabout in source code editor?   Neutral   alien

Seems to be fine there too.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:44 pm

Maybe she has inadvertently turned them off.  If they're off, I think they still show up in your draft, but not in final.  I have them turned off.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:03 pm

What I needed to do, was to push "the space between words button" before using the emoticon.

Kind regards Yvonne Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:01 pm

That's a helpful tip for others who may find the same thing. Thanks, Yvonne.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum Empty Just testing, thanks Fiona and Jim

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:03 pm

Crying or Very sadVERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum For_ca15
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum Empty testing new

Post  stonener Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:31 am

Having trouble posting pictures totally bummed!

[img]VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum Img01313[/img]  ???
---------------------------------------------------------
nothing again as you suggest, exactly

---------------------------------------------------------
host image  
select size 1st
choose file 2nd
copy middle line highlighted blue 3rd
? chick cursor on to screen ?
nothing???

--------------------------------------------------------

host image ?
stonener

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:22 am

Sorry, not sure what you mean here Stonener. Are you saying that when you click on to the screen nothing at all appears - not even an image code?   If so, can you tell me what browser you are using as that makes a difference.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:33 am

Actually, cancel that last post.  On my system it has now reverted to being that I have to Copy and Paste again. 

VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum Long_t15

There have probably been further changes since I first posted. I won't change the Tutorial until it settles down.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:54 pm

Scots Pine ready for sales area  VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum Dsc_1311

Last edited by Vance Wood on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:58 pm; edited 6 times in total
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Hmmmm. But there's no image showing there Vance, at least not on my screen.  Even when I click that link nothing comes up.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:00 pm

It's deceived you Vance. The hyperlink created on your post is to your home machine's copy of the image, so we can't see it! ;-)

Hope these changes do simplify image posting eventually. I had to edit this post as it ended up with two copies of the same image.Embarassed
 VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum Img_2310
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:58 pm

VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum Thyme_12

Just for clarity - I now press Copy, click on to the screen where I want the image and press Paste. The code appears. But you don't need to press Upload any more - in fact the Upload command disappears after I press Paste.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Just for clarity - I now press Copy, click on to the screen where I want the image and press Paste. The code appears. But you don't need to press Upload any more - in fact the Upload command disappears after I press Paste.

That's how it works for me, too.  Much better, IMO.

I think I've found a little glitch in the new interface.  The "Quote" button at the top of every message doesn't work right for me.  When you press it, the quote appears, highlighted, in the reply box, but there's no way I've found to get the cursor out of the box so you can type your response in the "normal" reply box (non highlighted as part of the quote).

All I can do is highlight the portion of the message I want to quote, press copy, press reply, press paste, press the icon for the quote, press "Insert" when it appears, and THEN type my message in response (outside the quote box).

See what happens when you try it, Fiona.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:44 pm

JimLewis wrote:

That's how it works for me, too.  Much better, IMO.

I think I've found a little glitch in the new interface.  The "Quote" button at the top of every message doesn't work right for me.  When you press it, the quote appears, highlighted, in the reply box, but there's no way I've found to get the cursor out of the box so you can type your response in the "normal" reply box (non highlighted as part of the quote).

All I can do is highlight the portion of the message I want to quote, press copy, press reply, press paste, press the icon for the quote, press "Insert" when it appears, and THEN type my message in response (outside the quote box).

See what happens when you try it, Fiona.

To do this, I had to switch away from wysiwyg editor to source code editor.  I'll flag that one up to the boffins.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:04 pm

So, what you see is what you get is the default.  I like that, and I don't usually use the "Quote" button, anyway.  Then you have to pare away a lot of excess junk to leave the section you want to respond to.  I prefer copying the key phrase and pasting and marking it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum Empty Just seeing what you are talking about...

Post  John Quinn Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:43 pm

Pic posted in same way for me...
VERY IMPORTANT: New editor functions on the forum Fini10
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:23 pm

Right through to having to press Upload?

On my system this no longer happens.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next