Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growing Pyracantha from seed

2 posters

Go down

Growing Pyracantha from seed Empty Growing Pyracantha from seed

Post  roberttamsar Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:23 am

I love pyracantha, especiallly after seeing the threads from David Cortizas ( https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t3868-pyracantha-coccinea ).

I bought some pyracantha seeds from Ebay, but don't have a clue where to start. Specifically, how do i grow it from seed.

I am from, Indonesia, really needs help.

Thanks.
roberttamsar
roberttamsar

Back to top Go down

Growing Pyracantha from seed Empty Re: Growing Pyracantha from seed

Post  redbeard Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:16 am

My propagation guide calls for 3 months of stratification. So start by folding the seeds into a moist paper towel (or vermiculite, or sand), put them in a ziploc bag (sealed) in you refrigerator for 90 days. Are seeds the only source you have for pyracantha? See, I think it's going to take an awful long time for you to get something big enough to work with... I wonder if they would do well in your neck of the woods anyway; some plants need a certain number of chill hours per year in order to thrive. I don't know if this is the case for pyracantha, though.

Sorry, I know this sounds like bad news.
redbeard
redbeard

Back to top Go down

Post  roberttamsar Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:35 am

Thanks Red. I never saw this tree in this city (Jakarta). I expect this seeds realize my dream seeing phyracantha, even in a long time waiting.
Thanks for explanation. Some people told me to kept it in a hot water for 24 hours, before the 90 days period. Did you did it to your seed?
roberttamsar
roberttamsar

Back to top Go down

Post  redbeard Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:48 pm

roberttamsar wrote:Thanks Red. I never saw this tree in this city (Jakarta). I expect this seeds realize my dream seeing phyracantha, even in a long time waiting.
Thanks for explanation. Some people told me to kept it in a hot water for 24 hours, before the 90 days period. Did you did it to your seed?
I don't need seed- pyracantha is easily obtainable here as a mature plant. Good luck with it. Don't let anything I say discourage you from trying to grow it. I'm on the opposite end of things here, trying to grow all manner of tropical things that really 'shouldn't' live in my climate zone. Smile
redbeard
redbeard

Back to top Go down

Post  roberttamsar Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:05 am

Thanks Red.
roberttamsar
roberttamsar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content