Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can anyone offer some advice for a Black Pine

5 posters

Go down

Can anyone offer some advice for a Black Pine Empty Can anyone offer some advice for a Black Pine

Post  Lnatural Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:22 am

Can anyone offer me some advice on how to reduce the size of the needles on my black pine. I'm trying to develop a few pads of needles, but i want to be sure the proper way to manage needle size and pruning techniques. thank you much

Lawrence

[img]Can anyone offer some advice for a Black Pine Img_0010[/img]
[img]Can anyone offer some advice for a Black Pine Img_0011[/img]
Lnatural
Lnatural

Back to top Go down

Can anyone offer some advice for a Black Pine Empty Re: Can anyone offer some advice for a Black Pine

Post  Jake16 Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:06 am

It looks like you don't have many fine branches. If I understand correctly, more fine branches with needles at the end equals more photosynthetic material for the tree, therefore the needles are able to be shorter. If someone else on here doesn't post pruning advice, I can post what is in my stone lantern pine book.
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Can anyone offer some advice for a Black Pine Empty Re: Can anyone offer some advice for a Black Pine

Post  FrankP999 Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:27 am

Last edited by FrankP999 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:38 am

I hope this is not a repeat. The standard approach to increase ramification and shorten needles for strong black pine is decandling. Both Michael Hagedorn http://crataegus.com/ and Jonas Dupuich http://bonsaitonight.com/ are currently discussing this topic in their blogs.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Lnatural Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:45 pm

Those videos of Ryan's really say it all, thanks very much for your replies

Lawrence
Lnatural
Lnatural

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Assuming that you fed this tree heavily so far this year. Now is the time to cut off all of the candles (unless you want to extend a branch) down to where they started. Then they will form new clusters of buds which will grow, develop this Summer, and the needles will be much smaller.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down