Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

maple and hemlock pruning

2 posters

Go down

maple and hemlock pruning Empty maple and hemlock pruning

Post  austinh Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:32 pm

I went out into the wilds two years ago and dug up two vine maples and a hemlock, all were planted into the ground for the rest of the year. This spring I transplanted all three into pots, as they were all in a bad spot and needed to be moved. They are planted in pumice with some pine bark and all plants seem to enjoy it. The hemlock has put on over 1.5" (inches) of new growth this year in some spots and every branch has new growth on it, the maples are also doing very well with lots of new growth. The question is can I hard prune any of these trees this year or is it best to wait until fall, the next season, or the next? I have a tendency to move too fast so please be my moderating force, but I also would like to get these trees down to the usable material as they all are uncut since I collected them. I am in Portland Oregon, summer started yesterday here all the spring growth has hardened off. Sorry no pics, maybe when these trees start to look like something. Thank you all for your help.

Austin

austinh

Back to top Go down

maple and hemlock pruning Empty Re: maple and hemlock pruning

Post  0soyoung Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Most of the root growth will continue until circa August. Reducing the canopy before then will lessen the amount of root growth. Further, most of the top growth and energy storage is happening now. Wait until July/Aug to hard prune if you need/want stronger roots and stronger trees; else, if you are satisfied with their vigor, have at it.
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down