Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ideal bonsai soil

3 posters

Go down

Ideal bonsai soil Empty Ideal bonsai soil

Post  ozmorf Thu May 30, 2013 5:58 pm

I just got a juniper bonsai, and I want to get some bonsai soil for it (since it's in its regular nursery pot), preferably by mixing it myself. What is the best mixture of different materials to do this? Also, how long would you recommend I wait to transplant this plant to a regular bonsai pot, since i just gave it its initial pruning? I've heard that you want to wait from a couple months to a year, and i'm a bit confused about this. Confused

Thanks for all your help in advance.

ozmorf

Back to top Go down

Ideal bonsai soil Empty Re: Ideal bonsai soil

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu May 30, 2013 8:49 pm

OK, there is a lot of discussion concerning soil for Bonsai and you will get about as many opinions as there are bonsai hobbyists. I use a mixture of 1/3 Turface, 1/3 Lave, and 1/3 composted Pine Bark (A Fafard product called soil conditioner).

As to pruning and repotting, although frequently sold as "easy" bonsai they can be difficult. I do light pruning all year here in Florida, but will only do major pruning or transplanting in the coldest months (Jan./Feb) for us.
Hopefully someone from your climatic zone will contribute.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu May 30, 2013 9:34 pm

It's pretty late for a beginner to repot a juniper anywhere in North America, so I'd recommend you wait. In the meantime, join a bonsai club (there are several in Colorado) and let local folks give you specific guidance.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  ozmorf Thu May 30, 2013 10:39 pm

So i should just wait until the spring of next year to transplant it? My only concern with that is that i can see some roots poking out of the bottom of the pot.

Thanks for helping me with the soil mixtures. Next chance i get, i'll get the correct materials so that i can mix it together.

ozmorf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down