Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summertime seki display

5 posters

Go down

Summertime seki display Empty Summertime seki display

Post  dick benbow Mon May 27, 2013 6:26 pm

With the song, summertime and the living is easy, playing in the back of my mind I present this display. For those of you not familar with this popular american jazz piece, here it is, delievered in the way it should be......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwZc5W8tLK4

This portrayal of an event would be more familar to a japanese. The timing is dusk. The summer sun is setting. A gathering of guests are about to load into a boat for a nite cruise under the stars. The Mizu viewing lantern will soon be lit at the boat launch so that they can find their way back in the dark. The last few flowers of the chojubai quince, fade with the light of the day as spring gives way to the next season.

as the song lyrics suggests, fish are jumpin and in this case it is the first color variety ever made in the long tradition of japanese Koi fish, the Asagi....
Summertime seki display Img_2916Summertime seki display Img_2917Summertime seki display Img_2918Summertime seki display Img_2919Summertime seki display Img_2920
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Summertime seki display Empty Re: Summertime seki display

Post  my nellie Tue May 28, 2013 9:27 am

What a powerful gift/tool imagination is!
Thank you for sharing.

Regarding "Summertime", do you happen to know that this favorite song is among the 10 songs which hold the more numerous remakes/covers worldwide?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue May 28, 2013 2:53 pm

No! I didn't know that. Thank-you for sharing Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  stonener Tue May 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Remarkable Effort! Dick it's a journey
Huge improvement really shows,
was it the book?... Basketball
stonener
*cloud pattern*

Last edited by stonener on Tue May 28, 2013 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : +)

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue May 28, 2013 7:08 pm

Like to say it was...Smile I have a new coach that's been helping me. I give the credit to him....
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:57 pm

A year has past and it's summertime again. A time to present another seki display. Hopefully a differnt look tho the shikishi board is the same....SmileSummertime seki display Img_3212Summertime seki display Img_3213Summertime seki display Img_3214Summertime seki display Img_3215
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:26 pm

I like this summers display better than last summer. The potentilla has a nice natural feel to it, because it is not tightly trimmed. The carved fisherman is lovely too. The carp scroll is exquisite. Very nice. I like the way they flow together as a unit.

The components of last year's (2013) image are all really top quality by themselves, but for some reason, the composition did not send me as much. There is nothing I could identify as wrong with the 2013 image, but for what ever reason, the 2014 composition just appeals to me more strongly.

There is a fleeting ephemeral quality communicated by the wispy look of the potentilla. I like it. (even though it is a considerably larger tree than the one used in 2013, and the 2013 tree looks "better trained"). Actually when I look closer at the potentilla, the bolt upright trunk doesn't do anything at all for the tree. However, in order to even notice the trunk I had to force my eye, the wispy branches & flowers are really what catches the eye, love the yellow flowers. So even though the 2013 tree (Chojubai?) is much better trained, farther along toward bonsai, the potentilla holds my eye better, without noticing it flaws.

Willows along the shore, with yellow iris in the willow thicket, fishermen farther down along the shore - that just hit me, that is the impression the potentilla makes, even though the flowers of the potentilla look nothing like iris. I do walk around a lake several times a week, and along one area there are shrubby sand bar willows, with thickets of yellow iris growing among them. Sand bar willows have the same foliage color as potentilla. This years display evokes a real place for me. That is why it works for me.

Viewing bonsai is personal. Nobody else needs to have the same reaction I did, and you did not even need to intend to "paint the image" I saw when I looked.

Thanks Dick, for posting the display. I've learned a lot about bonsai display & art in general from your threads.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Summertime seki display Empty Summertime

Post  Bruce Winter Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:50 pm

I like the Miles version too:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN1uFMK3zZI

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:28 pm

thanks Leo for taking some time and effort to share.tour thoughts I appreciate it.

Bruce, It's such a special song, isn't it?
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down