Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone have any advice about a lilac?

3 posters

Go down

lilac - Anyone have any advice about a lilac? Empty Anyone have any advice about a lilac?

Post  Lnatural Fri May 17, 2013 1:46 pm

At the beginning of spring I cut down much of the branches on this tree, and now it's grown into this. When is a good time to trim this down for some shape? I know there's to be more growth mid summer. It seems like with the way it grows out of control like this keeping a shape is impossible. I don't know much about this species, but if i can get this one lookin good it would be nice. I can't wait for some flowers to show up.[url=lilac - Anyone have any advice about a lilac? Img_9311[url=lilac - Anyone have any advice about a lilac? Img_9312]
Lnatural
Lnatural

Back to top Go down

lilac - Anyone have any advice about a lilac? Empty Re: Anyone have any advice about a lilac?

Post  Walter Pall Fri May 17, 2013 2:03 pm

Ever heard of the hedge cutting method? This is the only way to develop this lilac. The time to cut is 'this weekend'.

lilac - Anyone have any advice about a lilac? R2c_1810
lilac - Anyone have any advice about a lilac? R2c_1811
lilac - Anyone have any advice about a lilac? R2c_1812
lilac - Anyone have any advice about a lilac? R2c_1814
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

lilac - Anyone have any advice about a lilac? Empty Re: Anyone have any advice about a lilac?

Post  Lnatural Fri May 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks Walter, I had a feeling that might be the case with this one. I'll giver her a trim Saturday. Do you think it's alright to cut it down to like 4 leaves a branch?
Lnatural
Lnatural

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Fri May 17, 2013 3:32 pm

Better is to cut it down to two opposite leaves, which is the last or rather first internode. Or you want to have a long branch, then you have more internodes.
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  Lnatural Sun May 19, 2013 11:45 pm

Thanks again Walter, here's how it worked out. I'm hoping that one thick branch will eventually get some growth to balance out that side of the plant. Eventually I want this one to be even shorter than this. I might cut it down further next spring.
[img]lilac - Anyone have any advice about a lilac? Img_9410[/img]
[img]lilac - Anyone have any advice about a lilac? Img_9411[/img]
[img]lilac - Anyone have any advice about a lilac? Img_9412[/img]
Lnatural
Lnatural

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Mon May 20, 2013 6:06 am

lnatural,

I would cut further right away. The more you cut the more buds you will get. You can cut that thick one right away and that will induce more back budding. The tree will look quite ugly in the end. That's part of the game. Good luck.
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Mon May 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Love that clump of your Walter - loads of character! Great job!

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down