Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One year chinese elm progress

5 posters

Go down

One year chinese elm progress Empty One year chinese elm progress

Post  ydde72183 Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:28 am

I just wanted to share the transormation of my chinese elm in one years time. Can't wait to see it's fall color.

One year chinese elm progress Img_2510
ydde72183
ydde72183

Back to top Go down

One year chinese elm progress Empty Re: One year chinese elm progress

Post  ydde72183 Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:30 am

one year later

One year chinese elm progress Img_5411

Last edited by ydde72183 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
ydde72183
ydde72183

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:18 am

Nice development. Once it has defoliated for the winter, you can take quite a bit off, shortening the new growths to just one or two buds.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Treebeard Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:25 pm

What a lovely little elm. Elegant curves in the trunk, and great progress in one year. Good work.

Doing as Kev says will improve it even further, ie more ramification.

Chris.
Treebeard
Treebeard

Back to top Go down

Post  ydde72183 Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:43 am

Thank you for the kind words.
I will definitely cut it back this winter. Should I cut back the secondary branches back to 1-2 buds?
ydde72183
ydde72183

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:31 pm

That depends if there are any tertiary branches. Wink

Seriously, just shorten the tips, this years latest growth, back to two buds, as determined by the profile. Sometimes, in some areas of the tree, you may need to cut back a bit harder, into secondary or maybe even primary growth to get the shape you want.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:48 pm

Where are you located? (*edit* I see you're in FL now.) What is your regimen for training Chinese Elm?

Great development in such a short time.

bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:11 pm

Very nice movement of the trunk, and the nebari is excellent. I love to see little things like that, they show the care with which they were raised.

... And I thought in Florida, the climate was warm enough in the winter for Chinese elms to keep their leaves all year round. i bought a rather big one two years ago, and it only lost its leaves in late January, after temperatures of minus 8-10 degrees Celsius ( 17-14 F.)
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  ydde72183 Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:41 pm

I lived in Southern California for 7 years and that's where I got this elm (from "House of Bonsai" in Long Beach). I am back home in florida for a short period of time. I am moving to New York City on Nov. 1.

My trees are surviving. I keep them in a screened shaded patio. They have gotten pretty leggy and the leaves have gotton pretty thin since they've been in Florida. It's the humidity and the fact that I won't put them in the sun for to long. South Florida sun is "from the devil" Twisted Evil. I have a zelkova, Chinese elm, juniper, hedge maple, and a newly acquired Ficus "green Island".

All that being said. I am going into my first winter in a place where I will need to protect my trees. I NEED HELP. I don't know exactly my living situation in the city yet (outdoor space, unheated garage, balcony, rooftop...don't know Shocked) I plan on just allowing the elm and zelkova get enough cold to drop their leaves and then i'll bring them in. is Nov 1 to risky to do that? should I just keep them in, as they have been so pampered? The ficus will of course stay inside. Any and every suggestion is welcomed.

bwaynef: I just follow the standard elm care that is suggested in many bonsai books. I water when semi-dry, feed every two weeks with liquid fertilizer, full sun unless it is scorching, and I usually allow new growth to extend quite a bit (5-6 inches) and then cut back. I find that if i don't, the branch won't divide but just continue foward.

Thanks.
ydde72183
ydde72183

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down